Reversing Rings or Extension tube for D70s?

talkinglittlegirl

Sorry, I know similar topics have been posted around during these months; I

Googled on the net on this as well, and that was what led me to Photo.net!

I've just got a Nikon D70s that comes with the 18-70mm kit lens, and I also got

an old AF 28-200/3.5-5.6 D IF (That came from my old F70)

I wanted to take some Close-ups of some beans and little turtles (that's 4 times

smaller than my palm! They're babies) and I need some suggestions on what sort

of additional accessories I need to get.

Definitely not a macro lens this time as I'm still a novice in Close-ups &

Macros, and don't want to invest too much money.

My dad recommended me to either get a reversing ring or an extension tube and

here are some problems which I want to make them clear......

1. I wonder if the above 2 accessories mentioned above suit my 18-70mm or

28-200mm? These are the lens that I have.

2. If the above question is no, which lens should I get then?

3. If the answer for question 1 is YES, then which reversing ring/extension tube

is recommended??

I did ask this question somewhere, but my net pals kept mentioning how their

reversing rings/extension tubes work well with their 50mm f1.4/1.8; and I don't

understand what they meant by words like:

...It has 52mm threads, so it will mount directly to a 50mm f/1.4 or f/1.8

Nikkor. I've only used primes reversed (mostly on bellows). Mounting it to the

kit zoom will require a step down ring from 67mm, but I have no idea what the

quality of the results would be like and I don't think you'll be able to control

aperture at all since it's a G lens......

Forgive me, I'm completely new to these terms so hope I can get some dummy

explanations.....A big thanks to all of you and wish you a Merry Christmas.

Thanks Klix.

One thing to make sure about the numbers......if I remember correctly, the nikon 18-70mm has 67mm threads (is it how it is mentioned)

so in getting a Nikon 6T, that only has 62mm threads, shall I get a step-down ring or some extra accessories?? Thanks

(I can't really understand the 52mm/62mm etc threads...)

To easily understand the step up / step down sizing, always think in terms of: FROM THE LENS TO THE ACCESSORY.

So, to attach anything to the front of the 18-70mm lens (67mm) requires a STEP UP rting if the accessory's thread is greater than 67mm or a STEP DOWN ring is the accessory's thread is less than 67mm.

To use the 6T on this lens, yes, you do need a STEP DOWN ring, from the lens' 67mm threads to the 6T's 62mm threads.

Good luck.

KL

One more thing... as to the suggestion to use the 5T on your 28-200mm, just be forewarned that if you do have an older 28-200mm (which I believe has 72mm filter threads), you'd need a 72mm to 62mm step down ring. This may actually be TOO MUCH of a step down and may (not sure) cause vignetting issues. If OTOH, your 28-200mm has 62mm threads, then using the 5T (or 6T) is a non-issue.

With your 18-70mm, a step down from 67mm to 62mm is not large enough to cause vignetting.

KL

The large difference in the threads was also what I worry about I told my dad when I read this a while ago. He said he doesn't know too much about digital, and won't give me further advice, and suggested me to ask my questions here instead.

Besides the 6T, are there any other good alternatives? Extension tubes??

Thanks.

Get an used, Nikkor 55/2.8 Micro. You don't need AF for macro photography, and 2:1 is good enough for your at this time. Furthermore a zoom lens is hard to use with with extension rings or reversing rings, nor would I expect useable results with the 18-70 lens so far outside its normal purpose. Used macro lenses are not very expensive, and will last you a lifetime. Many people carry this lens as their only 50mm lens for film or digital.

Edward's suggestion to get the 55mm/2.8 is good, as long as you can live without the in-camera metering, and accept the fact that with your D70 and the 55mm, you'll be guessing exposure and checking your histogram.

You may actually want to consider hitting up your dad from some $$$ to get a used Nikon 60mm macro lens. That pretty much solves your initial macro needs.

KL

I shoot mostly macros, and if there's one thing that I've found, it's that there are loads of

different ways to shoot macros.

You won't use AF for macros. If you use a reversing ring, you probably would need a

BR-6 to stop down the aperture (depending on the lens), because you lose the electrical

connection between lens and body. If you use extension tubes (for going

greater than 1:1), the lens will still be coupled to the camera (at least with the Kenco

tubes), so the lens will still function as usual. Using something like a 6T

on something like a 300mm will give you good magnification and excellent working

distance, but optical quality will be inferior to the micro-nikkor + extension tube

combination. However, the difference in quality may not be excessive -- depends on the

subject, mainly.

I'd certainly agree with the advice to get a 60mm micro-nikkor if possible. It is the least

expensive of the macro lenses, and the quality is superb. It has a short working distance

(so may be awkward for insects) because of the short focal length, but that also gives you

more magnification on an extension tube than you would get with a longer lens on the

same tube. This is useful if you ever decide to get a bellows for those shots when

extension tubes just aren't enough.

Whatever you get, enjoy! Macros should come with a health warning: they are addictive...

Thanks guys for your answers.

Macro and Micro (Confusion); I heard from some guys out there who said NIkon calls Marco lens Micro, is that true? And what exactly the 2 means? Are they for different purposes?

One more thing, since neither of my 2 lens (18-70mm, 28-200mm) is working fast in dark areas; ie, if I slow down the shutter speed, the results are bit blurry, or fast shutter speed, the picture would be too dark... so my friends suggested me getting a faster lens will larger aperture like the 50mm/f1.4/1.8. Getting a tripod for my camera is not always a good solution specially if I'm in a crowded party.

I need to take lots of party shots and shots in dark area, so probably I gotta invest one more lens of this kind.

http://www.nikonimaging.com/global/products/lens/af/normal/af_50mmf_14d/index.htm

http://www.nikonimaging.com/global/products/lens/af/normal/af_50mmf_18d/index.htm

What about a combination of this lens with a reversing ring?? So I can have this 50mm for 2 purposes.

@KL

[Quote}You may actually want to consider hitting up your dad from some $$$ to get a used Nikon 60mm macro lens.

Not really necessary; I sponsor my own equipments, and suggestions like those I learn here are the most valuable things I need now :)

Reason why I won't get a MACRO lens this time is because I don't take too much Macro/Close-up shots. I just want an accessory/or what some people refer to as "special adapter" for my current lens so I can start learning and practising......

wait...can i use the AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D for general pictures like ordinary affairs, parties and children etc..., of course, I know it's good to use some other specific lens for best results, but well, I just wanna know.

PS: and, if a reversing ring/extension tube can be attached to a Micro lens?? I wonder if there's such combination? Just curious.....

The 60/2.8 AF Micro can be used for general purpose photography at any distance. It uses CLC (moving elements) to provide good correction from 1:1 to infinity. You can use it effectively with extension tubes. Since the lens is nearly symmetrical, it doesn't make much sense to use it with a reversing ring. The front element is deeply recessed, which exaggerates the effect of reversing the lens.

Once you get into macro photography, you will find that the working distance of the 60mm is too short for comfort. Living subjects are too easily spooked, you have poor control over the background (FOV too wide), and sometimes difficulty getting light on the subject. The Nikkor 200/4 AF is probably the best macro lens Nikon ever made with respect to sharpness and working distance, but costs three times as much as the 60.