50mm voigtlander

luc3

I am thinking about getting a 50mm voigtlander lens, since at the moment i can't

afford a 50mm leica lens. I bought a 15mm voigtlander, which is quite

interesting for some shots, but since the 15mm does not focus on an M6, will i

be able to focus with any other voigtlander lenses, such as the 50/1.5

Aspherical Nokton?

Thanks a lot

"Avoid the 50/2.5 voigtlander. It's performance is underwhelming."

I think this is a situation where comments were made about the lens, and these were misinterpreted and passed on, trashing the reputation of the lens. As I recall, the Cameraquest site mentions this lens has been a favorite in Japan, selling very well.

I became curious, and found a used one at an attractive price. Running it through its paces, so to speak, convinced me that the 50 Skopar is much better than its reputation suggests. As I see it, after 2+ years of use, it's not bitingly wire-sharp, but it's not unsharp either. It's simply sharp in a gentle way, not harsh.

It has pleasant bokeh, is plenty sharp, is very well constructed, compact... If I had to gripe, the only bad thing I can think to say is that there's a bit of pincushion distortion. About as much as the Pentax 43mm Limited has barrel distortion. :-)

"I think this is a situation where comments were made about the lens, and these were misinterpreted and passed on, trashing the reputation of the lens. As I recall, the Cameraquest site mentions this lens has been a favorite in Japan, selling very well."

No I have one. It's truly pathetic, not when compared with my current Summicron/2 either. It's pathetic compared to my Summitar screwmount lens too. It's worse than my russian screwmount 50/3.5. I have a LOT of 50 screwmount and M lenses, and it's by far the worst I have, even though some of my lenses are quite old and haven't been properly serviced in years. Now the mechanical workmanship is very nice and it's very pretty, it's just really really really bad optically.

Now it's possible I got a really bad one, because their quality control isn't up to Leica standard, but that says something too I think. I also have a 25/4 which is very good, but this 50/2.5 isn't even adequate by anyone's standards, believe me.

David, it is possible that the CV 50/2.5 has an erratic quality control and you really have a lemon.

I have one in chrome and it is quite good optically. I don't go shooting resolution targets with the camera tied to an anvil but my 11x14's are sharp and with lots of fine detail, as well as my 5400 ppi film scans. I must explain also that I seldom shoot fine grained film and that most of my leica use is with B&W ISO400 film. When I feel the urge to shoot color I grab a digital.

On the other hand, compared to the Nokton, the Color Skopar 50 does show a more "round" look (is it unsharpness?) but much better "atmosphere". I'm sorry for the untechnical descriptions but, put in other words, the Color Skopar is more akin to an old Summicron 50 than to a present generation one.

In any case, if Lucas wants *sharp* and contrasty, I guess the new CV 50/2 Heliar at $549 is an extremely good buy. I don't have one but Pop Photo raved about it, or, in any case, the Nokton 50/1.5 is a superb performer and also very well built, just suffering from horrible bokeh.

PS, let me state that I have quite a few 50's to compare the Color Skopar 50 with, and I don't find it lacking: among others, a pre-asph Summicron, a Nokton, a Zeiss Ikon Tessar f/3.5, a Schneider Xenon f/2, a Nikkor AiS 1.4 and a 1.8, a Super Takumar 1.4 and a Super-Multi-Coated (not SMC) Takumar 1.4. You may say I'm a 50's fan... :-)