speedlites for studio work?

scott_tan1

I have been shooting with available light using 350d for a year now. I believe

my interest lies in shooting portraits and is currently considering of doing

shoots in my own apartment.

To me, the world of lighting seems to exist in a different context altogether.

I have a few questions: is it possible to create external lighting using 2

flashes and reflectors? I have read about slave and triggers but have no idea

where to starting learning about them. Anyone has access to a beginner's guide

or something? Lastly, which speedlights will you recommend for my description

of use?

Thanks.

Get a Canon 580EX and 430EX. The 580EX will act as the master controler and also a fill flash. The 430EX will act as a your off camera slave for your key, or main light. From there you can add a separate controller (ST-E2) to get both flashes off camera, and/or add additional speedlites for more versatility. You also may want to add light stands, umbrellas and clamps/mounts to make them work together. This is not a cheap way to go, but is simple to setup, and after some practice, easy to use.

You could do the same thing for far less money by going to a setup of 2-3 Vivitar 283/285's, or Sunpak 383 or 544's. Put one on the camera to act as the trigger/master, and use optical slaves for the other lights. With this method you have to set exposures manually, and a flash meter helps speed things up. But exposures are more consistent/reliable, and far less frustrating to learn.

What none of these methods do is provide a consistently workable modeling light. For that you will need real studio lights. But with the quick review of a digital camera, perhaps you don't need modeling lights so much.

If you're really serious about shooting portraits, why not get strobes? Speedlites are fine, but limited, in my opinion. I tried the multi-flash setup but quickly moved into using Alien Bees, which provide more power and flexibility and actually cost less than the Nikon flashes I was using. Fully manual shooting using modeling lights gives you infinitely more control and is much more satisfying. Just my 2 cents.

Go for strobes - in the end your flash setup will cost you as much! And you will buy strobes thereafter.

Flash can seldom give you anything near the quality of light of strobes and strobes have modelling lights so you can see before you take the shot how it will look. I have three flashes and a remote master they are fine for mobile shots on location. Nice and light, compact to carry. But I would choose strobes everytime circumstances allowing.

If you go the flash route I would go for cheap used flashes as per the posts above and shoot manual. Keep your outlay to a minimum!

Thanks for all the advice. I think I will look into the cheaper alternatives first. As some of you mentioned, I would like to see the outcome before taking the shot, so strobes will be the way to go in the future. Therefore, I will not want to spend too much money on getting the flash. The cost of the speedlites are pretty expensive and for that price, I should able to get a few of the cheaper flash.

My next question is should I get in first-hand or second-hand? Do these have a limited lifespan? By the way, I reside in Singapore and it looks seemingly impossible to get a Sunpak or equivalent. Any other recommendation for cheap and good manual flash?

Thanks, Scott.