EOS 400 Immage Size and Memory capacity

robin_flegg1

Dear Forum Users,

Please forgive my ignorance on this matter, but despite searching on the

internet I can find no help for my question, and my knowledge of digital

cameras is nil.

I am planning to Purchase a Canon EOS 400. My question is what is the largest

size of pictures that can be taken (in terms of pixels dimensions)?

Secondly, what is the size of this file (in, as I understand, RAW format),

which is the primary file type before conversion to JPEG?

Ultimately I wish to know how many pictures I can store at the highest quality

in the highest dimensions on a 1GB card? (So I can work out which card I

would need to buy for my needs ? I understand that no memory card is provided?)

Even then, when I convert to JPEG for viewing on other system (such as a DVD

player), I still want to keep the file compression at 0% to maintain the

highest quality.

I?d be very grateful for any advice.

Robin

Robin, first of all, the numbers I can tell you are estimated from numbers I know from my 300D.

The 400D can store different things. Just JPGs. Just RAWs. RAWs with embedded JPG (of a selectable size).

From the 10Megapixels, you can derive the maximum imagesize in pixels.

(Somewhere near 3880*2580).

In Raw, each pixel has 12bit information so the maximum size of a raw file is about 15Megabyte. (Usually Canons lossless compression will bring that down to somewhere near 10MB).

The JPG (larges size and fine quality) is very much depending on image contend. It can be very very small (not much things in image at all), or up to the same size as the raw file is. An average of 6MB-8MB is reasonable.

So, Just storing JPGs in best quality should result in 130-160 pictures per 1Gig. Storing RAWs (with a small or no embedded JPG) should result in 70-100 pictures per 1Gig. Storin RAW with a large fine embedded Jpg could even bring you down to 50 pictures per 1Gig.

Converting to Jpg wil ALWAYS intorduce losses. (This is the nature of the beast ... Jpg is a lossy compression).

For output on a DVD it is not reasonable to use a full size image, because the pixels size would be much bigger than what the DVD player can really display. So the DVD player will have to resize and render a smaller image from yours anyway.

Rainer

<p>Sorry I cannot give you a precise answer, but I store about 230 RAW images from my

350D on a 2 GB card. You'll get a bit less since the 400D produces 10MP images rather

than 8 MP images. My <p>guess</i> is that you'll get around 90-100 RAW images per

gigabyte.

<p>RAW produces the highest quality images since this format does not compress data

the

way that JPG does. Even the highest quality JPG images lose some image data (converting

from 16-bit to 8-bit format, for example).

<p>In addition, if you use RAW you'll have more ability to make post-processing

adjustments

to things like sharpening and color balance and so forth.

Hi Robin, Another thing to consider: Not all images will be the same size. If the image you shot is a black ant in a snow storm (very little color or detail) then the file will be smaller than say a very complicated scene (mid-day New York with lots of colors, tones, etc) Also, the sharper the shot (in general) the bigger the file. If you introduce a bit of camera blur, there's not as much detail in the shot and thus the filesizes will be smaller. This can be useful to know because if you shot say 10 jpegs of the same thing, then sort the files by file-size, *usually* the largest file is the sharpest and contains more detail. Good luck!