what is the metal used in the MP bodies?

eric_hurtado

<i>Both M7 and MP camera top and bottom covers are milled from a solid piece of

brass.</i><p>

If black M7s are brass, then there's a silver plating over the brass (unlikely) and the finish

is the cheesiest black coating I've ever seen on anything that is meant to be handled. Still, it's

a very fine, useful camera.

How are you Pico?

Well, actually there is a thin layer of zinc alloy under the black chrome finish - this has been Leica's practice since the very first M4/M5 black chrome bodies. This is the main reason why black paint rose to such popularity. The black paint is finished directly onto the brass (for, when worn off, the popular "patina" look), while the black chrome wears to an ugly "silvery" layer.

With enough wear, you will eventually see the brass.

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra

I'm asking about the alloy used in the bodies of the M7 and MP, not the top and bottom

covers...

I know that for the body of the M8, Leica uses magnesium for the first time...and they

made some publicity around this fact,but it's a new technology (the die-casting of the

magnesium dates from a few years..), so do they use an alloy of aluminium for the M6,

M7, MP bodies...?

It was my impression that the MP and M7 use an aluminum alloy chassis, with the top and bottom plates made of brass. The silver and black cameras had chrome plated brass (with electroplated black dye for the black cameras and I believe that the black paint editions had the paint applied directly to the brass by an electrostatic process.

I believe that the magnesium chassis is new for Leica in the M8.

Dear John,

in the Leica M7 brochure, from 2005 (not available yet...),they have exactly the

same words for describing the M7 as in page 38 of the new Leica M brochure, but they say

"the body is made of die-casted aluminium..."(and it's what Leica said since years for the

other cameras, M4, M6...).

In a Leica press information they write also for the issue of the MP in 2003:" The main

body and housing consist of light-weight but robust diecast aluminum".

In fact they speake about magnesium now ONLY because the M8 body is made of

magnesium...for not being in rest... As i know since the issue of the M8, the M7 and MP

don't change of weight...

Normally in engineering one assumes there are errors in a makers brochures so one checks out the metal by inspection of the device. <BR><BR>With die cast aluminium alloys there are some regional differences compared to the USA's A380 A383 etc alloys.<BR><BR> There is DIN GDAl, GDAlSi12(Cu),.<BR><BR> There is JIS/Japan Industrial Standard ADC12 (Al-Si-Cu based alloy) and ADC10 (Al-Si-Cu based alloy); and another alloys such as ADC1, ADC3, ADC5, ADC6, ADC14.<BR><BR>Unless one rips apart your Leica body or Zorki and does a metal test the exact alloy cannot be figured out.<BR><BR> The choice of blend of alloy depends on a parts requirements, its a tradeoff in castability, machining, thermal expansion, cost, wear resistance, corrosion resistance, metallic luster/looks, .... <BR><BR>Aluminum alloy ADC12 has the highest production volume, ADC14 is good for wear resistance, ADC3 has good luster, ADC5 is good for corrosion. <BR><BR>Noramlly the molds are made for a specific alluminum alloy, since the cooling and shrinkage is different for each alloy. A part that has alot of machining may require the ADC10 alloy. <BR><BR>After casting there usually some secret cycles on better precision products to reduce built in stresses, too reduce warping due to machining. This can be just heat cold cycles, and just time, or extra machining after some cycles. <BR><BR>In a laymans sense there is just "aluminum die case alloy", like there is only one cooking oil, one beer, one shoe that women buy, one 50mm lens that Leica folks use.

If it is indeed magnesium then it is possible that they are utilizing the same process as the Japanese use in the manufacturing of the higher end SLR/DSLR bodies. The process is known as Thixomolding and involves the injection molding (i.e. plastic) of a thixotropic slurry of magnesium in a mold core/cavity configuration that in theory produces a more "near net" part requiring less post-process machining than an equivalent die cast part. Part quality is, on the whole, about equivalent to an average die cast component. Many die casting outfits resist the use of magnesium because of the fire risks and the contamination of their systems. MMV with different geometries and design requirements.