camera on a timer.

Well, I just down loaded my images from yesterday, and I am much happier with

them, than last year.

So, what do you do in situations like this? Do you want pro looking pictures,

or are you ok with snapshots?

(I know the group shot isn't too pro looking. I could have arranged much

better, but it was a very quick set up with limited time, cooperation, and

space!)<div>00JHMP-34125684.jpg.d3cdc8b270afb501672a27f0e4734083.jpg</div>

I used the S2 and the SB 24 flash on a bracket.. same thing I always use. I try to back the flash off a bit and drag the shutter a little to show the tree etc. in the back ground.

I brought it in and no one wnated me to take photos so I got two of the tree and a couple of my parents in front of the tree and put it away.

I usually just take a few candids and don't bother anyone.. but with my parents up in years I wanted to take a photo of them together in front of the tree.

My family hates it when I take the camera out so I don't. I almost took the camera and put it out in the car.. when I came in with it all I heard were complaints. However, due to the situation I wanted the photo of my parents. I got it and put the camera away.

It is funny.. when Dad used to take out the old Movie Camera it was fine (we have hours of this stuff) (and it is AWFUL).

I guess my pictures must really stink, huh?

My rule is, if people stop smiling when the camera is pointed at them then I stop shooting. Unless the family wants something formal, I don't ask for a group shot. Snapshots are the way to go. I catch more precious moments when the children are allowed to be themselves. When Christmas is over the parents can order cheap prints from Walgreens and they love that. It's win-win.

Equipment--I like to keep it simple. A digital Rebel and a big flash works great.

I HATE that comment Travis! Most of the time I just smile and say thanks like you do... but once in a while I go off on a rant about it. I mention how a baby grand piano plays nice music too, unless I am trying to play it! I go into my quest to better my photography skills every chance I get, and the years it has taken to reach the level I am at..... you get the point.

Fun thread to discuss.

This year my goal for Christmas was to shoot with two of my fastest lenses (i realize i need faster lens now too!) and use no flash at my brother in laws' new home.

Every family gathering I "practice" something I want to work on that will translate into better wedding photography; sometimes I sense the family just wants "to be" and I then just put the camera down (don't take any photos) and it's all good.

The great thing about doing this is that I get practice in an unpressurized situation, which is good/fun. (They're now well used to the fong lumisphere so that's not even a subject any longer but it was fun to hear the good hearted jokes while it lasted.)

(btw, I'm sure I don't want to shoot the snapshots anymore so I shoot as I would at a wedding trying to capture the emotion and the moment if possible. I'll toss out the snapshot looking ones later unless they will have value as a family record of people/place.)

The other thing is that over the years the family gets quality photographs and a Family Record of kids and events that can be passed on to other generations: this builds a Sense of Family. I've found that family members started out feeling camera shy, but, just as it happens in weddings they've gotten desensitized to the camera and that's when it gets fun. No one is even conscious of the camera at all or they ham it up for the camera.

So, it was a good thing to push forward through their veiled complaints and now they look forward to the photos and the dvd slideshow IF I decide to shoot photos. If I don't shoot then no one even mentions it because it's all about being together and having fun ... looking at the images a few months or years later is when they generate laughter and stories and smiles; an incredible value, so I just keep shooting and archiving the images.

I found that a once a year "formal" is about all they want/need and they enjoy the candid (pj) style of shots much more.

We take a couple more formals now as elders near transition stages but these can be taken in an "informal" way i.e. children gathering around the grandparents in the nice soft chairs they are sitting in for the day ... the shots don't have to be lined up and grouped which make most nervous and can potentially break the natural rhythm of the day/holiday/event. This year I just shot candid and got everyone ... I'm processing them now and will post a couple later if it's ok.

Keeping a photographic family record is an honorable thing to do at any level. (They become numb to the camera after a while anyway.)

The part I enjoy the most is viewing the slideshow or images a couple years later and listening to everyone laughing and telling stories generated by the photos.

This year I just broke out the pocket digital. I hate to draw too much attention to myself, and besides: It's more challenging to get art out of sub-standard equipment.

For formals, I haul in the gear. For hanging out at the dinner table, it kills the moment to point artillery at them.

I'd really like a nice stealth camera, maybe a Leica M8 for these occasions.

For lighting, I try to shoot ambient when I can. A pocket wizard is nice with my little Sony DSC-V1. A flash up on a shelf doesn't scare anyone.

I used my 5D with the flash and Lightsphere this year at both my family's house and my in-laws' house. Some asked what that "thing" was on my camera, and I told them I was a tip jar.

Here's the result... the top and middle left are my family, and the bottom and middle right are in-laws. I'm pretty happy with them... I shot about 300 in 2 days.<div>00JHaY-34129684.thumb.jpg.432f54fecbacc6339764701cd0f07df2.jpg</div>

i took two M6's an 90mm elmarit, a 50mm summarit and a 28mm elmarit, one of the bodies

with hp5, the other with delta 3200. i took two beers with their respective tequilas, then a

scotch and soda, then red wine with the turkey, then a glass of port, and the a few more

scotch and sodas. took about 4 pictures altogether....had a great time though.

My only suggestion is don't turn it into a formal shoot, but rather an informal family get together where you happen to be shooting some photos for everyone. Put away your serious looking photographer hat and put on your family member hat. Don't just snap away for your portfolio, enjoy your family member's company, and be a part of the get together. I think this will help them to be desensitized to you and your camera, and you wouldn't have to debate over your family self or your photographer self. And yes, do share the photos with your family members so that they know you are offering them a valuable service to them. Uncle Bob who snaps 300 photos of family members and shows them to no one is just creepy, but uncle Bob who snaps 300 photos and gives each family some nice 4x6 to remember the holidays is an outstanding guy in my book.

WIlliam,

This sounds dumb I'm sure but how did you do that collage? It's great! Is it photoshop?

Merry Christmas!

Everyone,

I think that the fact that you are documenting family get togethers will only be fully

appreciated years from now when some family have passed away and little kids will be

adults, etc...

Keep it up! I think the comment about not making it formal is important as well. Keep it

candid, people will not dread the camera near as much that way. And I"m sure you'll

always have a few hams (usually kids) that will pose all day long and give you adoreable

photos!

Casey ... I used a software from lumapix to create the collage. Do the google as I think it's a good one to have for what we do.

I can do the same thing in photoshop but my time seems more valuable lately so a good software is an asset.

Happy New Year!