120 film enlarger lens

alejandro_gulminelli

The manufacturer of the enlarger is Meopta (Eastern European). The magnifax is one of the larger/sturdier models. They also make two quality ranges of enlarger lenses, the Anaret is the basic / standard quality model, as mentioned up to 6x6. The enlarger can do 6x9 I think and hence the 105 will cover up to this.

Of the two, the Nikon is probably the better lens, I have a 105 nikon and sucessfully use this for 6x6 and XPAN (effectively 6x7) enlargements up to 12x16".

You may want to test both, these lenses may be a few years old and there's lots of stories of cheaper lenses performing very well sometimes.

I'm with Q.G., with a little additional information.

If you intend to make small enlargements, 5x5s and things of that nature, the 105 is likely an

easier choice. If you plan on 8x8s or larger then I'd consider the 80.

There's also the issue of the names. Never heard of the Anaret, but Nikons (and I have 3

105s, an 80, a 75, and a 135) are generally pretty good.

Can you try them out before buying?

I remember the Meopta from the 1970s. I had one myself at the time. The enlargers were

standard equipment in the budget range. Rather good quality but handling was not top-

notch. The lenses that came with it were not bad but rather basic. Most users I knew invested

in a first class Nikon enlarger lens.

With traditional enlarging a bit less popular now compared to scanning, you can pick up a first-class enlarger lens so cheaply that I don't see the point of buying an off brand one. I use Schneider Componon, but the El-Nikkor is well regarded too. I would check eBay. They practically give away whole enlargers now.

Well, in principle 80mm is for till 6x6cm but some of them can light out 6x7cm however best is then a 90mm lens. 105mm is for 6x9cm. The Anaret lenses are the medium quality enlarger lenses from Meopta, Czech Republic. It's the same manufacturer from your Magnifax, which is already a pretty good enlarger.

Their top optical products are the Meogon lenses. Meopta is the only manufacturer who is offering a Meogon 2,8/80mm enlarger lens. Pretty good, almost Schneider and Rodenstock preformance. Very usefull till 6x6cm.

The top range of enlarger lenses you can also find by these last two manufactureres: Apo-Companon and APO-Rodagon, both available in 4,0/80mm and 4,0/105mm and suitable till 6x7cm resp. 6x9cm.

By the way: The Czech Republic is middle Europe, not eastern Europe unless Vienna is suddenly changed of it's location :) .

Best regards,

Robert

When I was a poor young photographer back in the 1960's all I could afford was an inexpensive 3 element 75mm Spiratone enlarging lens. When I could finally afford a top of the line 80mm Schneider Componon I discovered just how grainy my medium speed (Plus-x and FP4) negatives really were. The cheap lens made mush out of the grain, which blended together into nice smooth tones on my 8x10 and 11x14 prints. The Componon resolves each little piece of grain in the negative with nice sharp edges. When I'm printing portraits I always use the cheap old Spiratone! It also subdues little wrinkles and pores in the subject's face.