Minolta hi-matic 7

j_sevigny

Just stumbled across a Minolta Hi-Matic 7 at a used camera shop here in

Guadalajara. It's in good shape and the guy's asking 800 pesos for it, about

$80 US. That's steep, I know, but everything photo related is steep in Mexico.

A couple of questions: how good are the lenses on these cameras?

What battery would I use instead of the banned Mercury cells the camera is

supposed to take?

I know it's possible to use a different battery and change the asa setting. so

assuming I use a 1.5 volt and Tri-X, where would I set the asa?

Finally, it looks like the cameras max asa is 800. Would it be possible and/or

practical to shoot 3200 with it?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

<p>The lenses are excellent. The price is a little high, but considering you get to handle it before buying and you aren't paying for shipping, it's not that bad.

<p><a href=http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=0007Tq>Here</a> is a past discussion of mercury batteries that might help. Search and you'll find others as well. You may actually be able to buy mercury batteries in Mexico, and they reportedly last a very long time. The Hi-Matic only uses the battery for the meter.

I have a 7s sitting on my desk right now. Great camera, sharp lens. Definately not a

lightweight, but excellent photos. I still have a a couple of the banned batteries and still use

them (they seem to last a couple of years in the 7s) but there are solutions. You will enjoy the

camera.

#675 hearing aid battery. Usually less than $1 each. 1.4 volts. Any drugstore. Depending on the size of your battery cavity it may need to be shimmed to fit. Good to test out the camera with and maybe go to a more expensive solution if you intend to keep it long time. I have seen pros and cons about whether any electrical change can compensate for a different voltage, maybe a neutral density filter may be the best way to go.

• 5 months later...

I found the answer to your battery problem. There is an adapter for sale that converts a newer non-murcury battery for the proper voltage.

I found this same camera at a thrift store in Indianapolis! Of course nobody knew anything about it and niether did I except for the name brand and I was attracted to the rare 40mm focal length and the very fast 1:1.7 lens. Then upon closer inspection it just got better with its manual controls along with auto shutter priority exposure. I couldn't believe how compact it was with all those great features! If it took interchangeable lenses, I'd probably ditch my slr's.

Here is the link to the site with the adapter. It costs $29.

http://www.criscam.com/oscomm/catalog/index.php?cPath=21

• 2 years later...