Glass filters for Cokin P?

carsten_wolff

Hi, all,

a pretty basic query, apologies in advance, if someone has answered this

before: Are there any options out there for glass filters OTHER THAN GRADS that

fit the Cokin P system. I mostly take only smallish lenses out in the field and

I don't like resins all that much, esp. on long lenses, such as 480mm. I'd want

the basics for b/w work, such as yellow, red 25, green, ND... I do use (MC UV

by B+W) screw-in filters already, but only when in harsh environments.

I use and like the Lee ProShade for Cokin P system, hence my query. Thanks.

I have been looking for the same filters in glass instead of Cokin's resin which are quite delicate when it comes to scratches, etc. The only option I found is to buy Tiffen filters and have them custom cut and its edges filed so that they will fit in Cokin's filter holder. It's an expensive option and I have "opted" out.

I think the answer to the last question is to decide just what it is you are looking for. The Cokin and similar filter systems are designed for using graduated filters, and I seem to recall that even B&W makes some graduated filters that can be used in the larger sliding frames.

On the other hand, a well planned repertoire of step-up adapters and circular filters that will cover the various lenses you own can be a much more cost effective solution for anything but the graduated filters, and if you need both, then the slider frame needs to go on last (but be careful doing so with wideangles lenses). And while I already have bits and pieces of the 3 Cokin systems for my own use, for most people having lenses with larger filter needs (100mm or less), I'd instead suggest standardizing on the brands using 4"/100mm frames since those filters seem the most widely available in both plastic and glass. However, Cokin has larger stuff as well (around 5" wide), and cinematographers often need even bigger stuff (i.e. from B&W etc), but you'll gag when you find out what these things cost.

Well, ONE reason why I is because I really like my Lee ProShade for Cokin P whis is more compact (and much cheaper) than its 4" brother.

Jakob, you're right; I'm not planning on getting another 130$ Tiffen either.

Well, back to the screw-ins....67mm B&W slims aren't exactly cheap either.....I also have all the adapter-rings for Cokin, but no ordinary step-downs.

I am working on making a inexpensive screw-in adapters from plastic for my Cokin P holder. This would allow a 67mm filter to be screwed into the adapter and which is in turn dropped into a filter slot. I have plenty of 67mm filters but no Cokin ones and don't plan on purchasing any.

I like that idea, Bob....a-la Cokin Polarizer, or with a square board....I'll try that, methinkst. I might go a bit larger (for my 67mm filter size wide-angles, as the filter glass may end up being further from the lens...), but not a bad thought! I'll also have to check the clearance to the Lee hood in my case....

Thanks for the pointer~!