The magnifiers...

alex_z

Just recieved my x1.25 and x0.85 magnifiers - Leica clones, made in HK.

I do not own and have never seen the original one by Leica, no cannot compare

directly, however jst my personal opinion;

Well made, tough feeling overall. Optics appears to be clear and coated. What

bothers me is that there is very short threading in my M6 eyepiece so the

magnifier is hard to fit on threading, and once done there is very short move to

fix in (about half revolution or even less). That doesn't feel reassuring I

suspect the maginfier can be prone to be lost because of that.

I'd like to hear user's opinion about both Leica original and HK magnifiers - do

you also experience the issue of such loosy mount into the eyepiece ? (well,

once fixed it doesn't wobble, but such short threading makes me a bit

nervious...) Is that OK ?

Recently I acquired a softie and it apparently came loose in the release button

also due to very short threading and got lost withint just over 1 week or being

on the camera. This is why my suspicion has raised regarding the magnifier...

Regards, Alex

The Leica 1.25 magnifier screws in securely and stays put in regular use. In fact, mine has never loosened up except when I've deliberately removed it from the camera. Morever, it is tethered to the camera strap ring by a short chain; so, if it ever should come loose, it wouldn't be lost.

I, too, lost my first softie about a week, but I blame myself for having screwed it in a little too gently. I purchased a replacement and screwed it in securely, and it has stayed in place for three years now, except for the occasions when I removed it in order to use a cable release.

Yes the Laeica one fits perfectly - though the little rubber protector falls off easily.

My experience with a Far Eastern lens hood was that it was well made except for the thread - it doesn't screw in correctly to any 39mm filter thread; it binds and is difficult to remove once stuck. The 'technology' for cutting screw threads isn't very advanced (Mr Whitworth mastered it and introduced a 'standard' in 1841), but it seems that in some parts of the world they haven't yet got the hang of it .....

AC

Alex: I'm curious--does the .85x "magnifier" allow you to see the wide-angle frames better when wearing glasses? With glasses, I can't quite see the 35mm frames.

Some people need more eye relief than others--I can't see the 35mm frame. Other glasses wearers are OK with 35mm, but not with 28mm.

Thanks,

--Peter

Alex, I don't want to discourage your purchase, but you may not find any

advantage with the 0.85 X finder. I purchased the two from HK, but found only

the 1.25X useful. The 0.85X finder simply made the image smaller, with (in

my case) no eyeglass advantage in terms of field of view. You may have a

different result. They are nice people to deal with and you may find them

amenable to a return if you do not find that the 0.85X does what was

advertised.

Peter, Arthur, I tried out the x0.85 - it does appear to do the job I bought it for: to bring up 28mm frames to visibility. With this magnifier - the 28mm frame is very nicely outlined in the finder - just like 35mm with bare viewfinder. These are encouraging news for me (I wasn't able to see 28mm frame lines without the magnifier). And I'm obstacles wearer, mind you...

Peter, even with my glasses, 35mm frame is visible clearly for me with no any magnifier attached, and with x0.85 - the 28mm lines are brought up as conveniently as 35mm without the magnifier. However, it seems (not sure yet) the x0.85 magnifier adds up a bit of barrel distortions at the side lines, just a tad of these, nothing major but noticeable. I did not find it objectable though.

Best, Alex