Sudden Color Cast on Epson R2400

Hello,

I'm regulary printing BW pictures from Mac Photoshop CS2, Aperture or Lightroom on an Epson R2400

without

any problem and really great results.

I use Permajet papers and ICC profiles from their web site and turn off printer color management in the

printer driver.

This give me really exact prints compared to the screen (calibrated with a Spyder2Pro).

Suddenly, a few days ago, everything that comes out of the printer has a magenta color cast on it.

I didn't changed anything (that I remember), except maybe a cartridge.

I have tried lots of things to get this color cast off but without any success (even changing the magenta

cartridges).

Any help is welcome.

Ed.

Patrick,

I do not use ICC profiles when I'm in Advanced BW mode. If fact it is more that when you

are in this mode, it simply by-pass your profiles.

From Adobe Lightroom, I can choose :

A. Managed by the printer

or

B. choose an ICC profile (and I must then turn off color management in the printer driver)

But my problem is not there : I had excellent and consistent results (in both modes) until a

few days ago when I changed a magenta cartridge. I then changed with a second one but

the results are always the same : a magenta cast.

Is it possible that I have had a bad cartridge lot ?

Tx. Ed.

Patrick, merci pour ta réponse.

Yes it is genuine Epson Inks, I did head cleaning several times, stop/start the printer, printed

other pictures, from several software.

I have one picture that I never change for comparaison test and it is really visible on it.

I really don't know what to do except maybe going to another shop, by new magenta

cartridges, purge and redo a test.

• 7 months later...

This is not exactly related to this thread but I hope you guys can helps me :

I am using Permajet papers (papyrus, portrait, museum, FB warmtone) with the r2400 to print b&w pictures. I am having troubles to determine the best settings. I have downloaded the icc profiles and I have talked with a pj support person. Apparently they recommend using the adobe RGB 1998 profile instead of their own when the "advanced b&w" is used. I would be very grateful if someone was willing to share his or her experience with me for this : should I use the advanced b&w ? What does the highspeed setting changes ? Should I use photo superior or photo ? ... Is there a good tutorial on this somewhere ?

Many thanks in advance,

Julien

Julien, i dont no about a tutorial, but this questions been ask and answer many time here.

lets go another time;

According you have a calibrated screen, you have done a superb darkroom job, and a superb BW transformation using your favorite tools, heres how to print in BW using CS2-3 and a epson 2400 - 3800 - 4800 - 7800 - 9800

BW PRINTING

1_Use adobeRGB 98 as your color space (others will work too anyway)

2_Use NO COLOR MANAGEMENT in CS2-3 in the print preview (yes in print preview, forget any profile there)

3_In the Epson driver, select Advanced BW mode

4_Use DARK as the setting, i like to add 3 and 3 in the bottom box myself, the print look more neutral than the default setting that i found too cold for my taste.

5_Voila, enjoy your print.

If you find your print too ligth or too dark, use a curve in CS2-3 to adjust it, to fine tune it let say.

*If you have a montage that contain both BW and color, use the regular method for color print as follow;

COLOR PRINTING or MIX COLOR & BW

1_Use adobeRGB 98 as your color space (others will work too anyway)

2_Select your profile for your EXACT paper and PRINTER, start with the one Epson provide, than in need have some custom one made for you.

For a 4800 - 7800 - 9800 if you have epson ink and paper, dont waste your money on custom paper as the one provide are really good (i tried it myself, and comfirmed it with Jeff Shewe and Bruce Fraser in a Epson print Academy seminar).

There seem to be issue with Vista, Adobe and Epson about the print looking too dark, in another post i read that the driver seem too be install but was not correctly install even if you see them in CS3...search for a recent post on the subject. (Epson R2400 pictures too dark - solution found)

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00MANx

3_In the Epson driver, use NO COLOR ADJUSTMENT in the COLOR MANAGEMENT TAB on a Mac or turn ICM OFF in the advanced tab for PC.

4_Select your paper type, the color ink, the advanced option so you can choose a quality; best photo = 1440dpi, photo RPM = 2880.

On a 3800 - 4800 - 7800 - 9800 you can live highspeed ON if your head are clean and unclogged, turn it OFF on any other epson printer for now.

Hope that help you get better print.

• 2 years later...

<p>Hi,<br>

I have also had this problem, suddenly my prints went dark and with magenta cast. I printed an image that I had a two weeks old print of and there was no doubt. I tried reinstalling the drivers etc etc as read on forums. Then tried to print the image from my old computer running XP and got the same results, so that ruled out drivers, profiles, settings etc, it must be the printer!<br>

So, I took out all the cartridges and chook them up real good and put them back in. Voila! Much better! I probably had not shaken some of the cartridges enough when inserting them in the first place. It is not perfect yet, but I expect it to improve over time as the shaken ink penetrates the printer....hopefully...<br>

So, always chake A LOT, and have a reference print with all settings noted to print when comming back from vacation etc.<br>

RGDS<br>

PM</p>

• 5 months later...

<p>Add another vote for shaking the cartridges.<br>

I replaced a blue cartridge, re-printed a photo I had just printed (NO software changes), and it came out with a very blue cast. Took out the cartridge and shook it for 30 seconds, then replaced it. Next print was perfect.<br>

I also had to replace a yellow which had run out, so unfortunately this is not a completely good test, since two things changed at once. It is conceivable that the previous very low level of the yellow cartridge was affecting my color. I did a very quick web search and did not find anyone talking about low ink levels producing a color cast. So my guess is that the problem was that I had not shaken the blue cartridge sufficiently the first time I installed it.<br>

I am using an Epson R1800 (which I've had since 9/05, have used a lot - more than $1100 in ink! - and has been an excellent printer for me). The blue ink cartridge described was bought 5 months ago.</p>

• 3 months later...