E-500

anthonygeo

As for people using the e-500, Take a look at the following:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1022&thread=22093215

I am not an expert in reselling DSLR's. Technology and new models by Olympus and competition keep raising the bar, reselling a used DSLR are generally at a substantially lower price than what you pay for it no matter whether it is an Olympus, Nikon, Canon, Pentax, etc. DSLR's depreciate faster than a new car in the first year.

As far as DSLR's and SLR's, when you depress the shutter, the mirror in the pentaprsim goes up so the image is exposed to the sensor, and while the mirror is up, the VF is blacked out. If you are taking the photo at a 1/60, 1/125, etc, the blackout is instantaneous. I do not believe DSLR Users find the blackout a significant impediment to taking fine photo's.

Good luck in your decision. My son took a trip around the world and purchased the two lens kit with E-500. While I have seen only a few of the 10,000 + photos he and wife took on the trip, they were very satisfied with the camera and the results. They appreciated the low weight of the camera, the ease they learned all the controls. I recommended some of the higher quality prime Olympus lenses than the kit zoom lenses, but they got very good results with the kit lenses.

I love it. It's the camera I went to after 35 years of film. It really depends on what you want to shoot. If you're into impressionistic style photography you don't use the same criteria as someone doing scientific or forensic photography. You don't need an atom smasher to open a walnut. Suit the tool to the job.

Just sold mine on Ebay, and got about 50% of the original cost. It is a great entry-level DSLR. I have tons of wonderful pictures from it, but I was ready to move up to a semi-pro model, so went with Pentax K10D after many, many hours of research. The E500 kit lens are great (Canon people complain about the Canon kit lenses all the time), but my new camera auto-focuses immediately, which the E500 didn't do. I mainly switched to Pentax for the image stablization. Any DSLR camera is going to lose value right now at the rate they are going out, but the good thing is, the lens do not lose value. Olympus is a bit high on their lenses compared to the others, but they are good quality. I would recommend the camera to someone just starting with a DSLR.

What I meant by 'starter' DSLR is that it has an auto setting, and plenty of scene settings. My K10D is considered a semi-pro model (which I didn't know when I bought it). I have no true auto settings, and no scene settings. There are a ton of people out in the world, some making good money, who live on auto and have no clue about shutter speed or apet. settings, and have no desire to learn. My Pentax would not work for them.

Yes, as far as I know any DSLR lens are the real thing--glass.

Debbie

You would find that cameras with either a viewfinder[slr style], or an electronic viewfinder go blank on you during exposure. Only the optical viewfinder gives 100% view, but these are often not very accurate in representing the view the camera is taking. It is normally no great hazzle as said above.

Well after all the reviewing I decided to head out and purchase the Olympus. When I get to Circuit City I look around and find an Nikon D50 (open box/display). Sooo I ended up with the Nikon and it came with a 18-55mm lens. I kept telling myself 8mp is better but I was really impressed with the photo quality of the D50. I hope im not kicking myself in the long run for going with 6mp instead of 8mp.

• 3 weeks later...

I have owned the E 500 for about 6 months now and find it a fabulous camera. Easy to use, has enough functionality for amateurs or pros and is priced very reasonably.

I recommend it for anyone who believes that they wish to push their amateur status a bit more into, say, a serious hobbyist/amateur level.

I'm actually very tired of hearing and reading about Cannons and Nikons as if they are the crown jewels. While it is important to have the right equipment, I find it more important to have the drive, the

skills and the love of photography than to have the latest Nikon/Cannon gadget relentlessly marketed to us.

The only small drawback is the pricey Zuiko lenses. The kit lenses are very adequate but if you wish to move up, it will cost you some.

I recommend it highly. Dont worry about resale value...whats the point? Use the camera and enjoy it...