what is the best way to clean the inside of a film scanner?

morocco

i have a canoscan fs4000 that has served me well over the past 5 years. over

the past few months i have not used it very much and have not had a protective

cover. now my scans have streaks stretching across the whole image. it very

clearly is dust inside the machine (there is dust when i open up the door).

what is the best way to clean this? a canon usa service charge is estimated

at $258. or should i use a vacuum to suck out the dust? or a bottle of the

air spray stuff? or are there other 3d party repair shops to do this?

thanks for your help.

Bill, Precision Camera actually does the scanner work for Sony who took over the Konica-Minolta camera business, the manufacturer of my Minolta Multi Pro. (lots of contraction in that marketplace). But their flat rate to clean / overhaul a Multi Pro is $111. I suspect all film scanners have a similar price. I'd talk to them. http://www.precisioncamera.com/

Hi Bill!

Try this guide to clean your LS5000 -> http://www.pearsonimaging.com/articles/howto/ls5000cleaning.html

I followed it step by step with my LS40 and it worked quite well. The fist steps are little bit different with the LS40, but the essential steps (6 through 10) are nearly the same.

Before cleaning it, I had some nasty Halos around the Highlights, but afterwards the scans worked out perfect ;-)

So, if you're into mechanics/technics a little bit, then go for it... but don't forget to be careful!

Greetings,

Michael

Bill,

Its always nice to hear of another FS4000 user who has made good use of their scanner. I can probably provide some insight as I have had mine apart a couple times for dust cleaning and other reasons. But just to clarify, the streaks you refer to are across the entire image, and in the direction of the scan (the direction the film moves)? If so, it probably is caused by dust on the sensor. This CAN be cleaned, but not without tearing into the scanner a bit.

Jeff

yes, jeff. the linear artifacts are in the direction of the scan, the entire length of the scan. when i open the door, i can practically see tumbleweeds whirling about. until hearing from you i was preparing to send the unit to canon usa for cleaning/repair/replacement for the universal fee of $258.

please tell me what you've done. thanks.

bill.

Bill,

When I get the chance (hopefully this weekend), I will be opening up my FS4000 to do a little cleaning. It occurs to me that if I were to take some pictures while doing this it would make explaining the process a lot easier (that whole thousand-words/picture thing!). Let me do that first then I will get back with you.

Jeff

• 1 month later...

Bill - email sent.

If anyone else is interested, I finally got around to putting together some information on how I clean out dust from my FS4000. It is just a Word document with some pics (sorry, I don't know much about putting web pages together yet), but I figure it might be useful to some of you who are still using and enjoying this scanner (like me!). Just send me an email.

Jeff

• 10 years later...

Hello Jeff

Do you still have that document on how to clean out dust from the FS4000?

Cheers Soren

Bill - email sent.

If anyone else is interested, I finally got around to putting together some information on how I clean out dust from my FS4000. It is just a Word document with some pics (sorry, I don't know much about putting web pages together yet), but I figure it might be useful to some of you who are still using and enjoying this scanner (like me!). Just send me an email.

Jeff

• 5 years later...
On 3/25/2007 at 9:03 PM, User_1577653 said:

Bill - email sent.

Jeff

Hello Jeff

Do you still have that document on how to clean out dust from the FS4000?

Cheers - Thomas