Real-life Shots from the 50L at f1.2

kenghor

THANK YOU! Pictures like these were what I was hoping to see.

In my humble (and non-professional) opinion, those "real life" shots have a better overall look than what I've experienced with the 50/1.4. It doesn't appear to be extremely sharp wide-open, but perhaps sharp enough. Is it $1300 better than the 50/1.4? Hmmmm...

<p>Well, you can ask, but don't be holding your breath. It's a new product, so it carries the "new and shiny" premium. That will wear off over time, but you're asking for nearly a 40% drop in price (B&H currently lists it for USD1600 and you want it to lose $600 of that), which is rather a lot ...</p>

''The f1.2 flares at f1.2 and f1.4. From f2 onwards, flare is well controlled. Considering that most who use the f1.2 are likely to use it for wedding and stage events and is common to have spot lights shinning directly at you. Having such flare may not be desirable''

Thanks for that Wee. There's some good information to be derived from these images.

They've gone a long way towards eliminating any wild fantasy (albeit minor) I may have

harbored about the F1.2. Talk about diminishing return.

Now if only Canon would modernize the 50 F1.4 with ring USM and the EF-S type coatings,

etc.

<P>Some of the new shots certainly show the lens to be more capable than any other examples I've seen so far.<br>

The sharpness wide open is actually not too bad at all, considering that most of these are at high ISO which reduces apparent sharpness with noise.</P>

<P>In fairness to the Canon, I have to say that the Zeiss Contax 55mm f1.2 suffered quite badly from veiling flare when shot towards the sun (and they go for around GBP5000, or US$9000!)</P>

<I>Can we ask Canon or make an appeal to Canon, to lower the price of that lens to say about $1,000-, This sounds silly, But seriously , can we do that?</i><P>

You can "ask" by not buying one. If they sit on the shelves, I think Canon will get the hint. ;-)<P>

I broke out the old f/1.4 last night after getting my camera back from repair and that thing still blows me away. If I get $1600 to spend on glass I'm afraid it won't be on another 50mm lens. Just my .02 cent's worth!

Not sure why you had to re-post everything. You have not re-taken your sink shots. As I mentioned before the 50/L 1.2 shot is far sharper (properly focused), than the 50/L 1.4 shot, not to mention all the others as well. I suspect all the 50/1.4 sink shots were also taken with improper focus.

The real-life shots don't really add anything since there is no comparison done with the 50/1.4.

Without comparision shots with other lenses you really can't tell anything.

Sure the "real world" shots look OK and so they should), but if you'd taken 1/2 of them with the 1.4 and 1/2 with the 1.2, would anyone be able to tell which shots were taken with which lens? Guess we'll never know.

"Sure the "real world" shots look OK and so they should), but if you'd taken 1/2 of them with the 1.4 and 1/2 with the 1.2, would anyone be able to tell which shots were taken with which lens? Guess we'll never know."

True enough. As always, internet JPGs are not the proper way of evaluating a lens' capabilities.