all around lens for 20D and T2

lucia_romero

For a tight Budget, go for the EF 24-85 f3.5-4.5 USM or the EF 28-105 f3.5-4.5 USM. Those are basically the best zooms in that price range (~$300 new), since they have a ring type USM and full time manual, plus a metal lens mount. The EF 50 f1.8 would be good too, if that focal length suits your needs.

The 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 is supposed to be very nice. I have the 28-135 which is typically considered comparable. The 28-105 doesn't have IS, but it has the same filter size as the 70-300 and 100-300 lenses.

If you can possible swing the 17-40 f/4L, it really bounces well between digital and film. I have a T2 as well, and I Love the 17-40 it on both digital and film bodies. (I know you said you're tight on cash, but...)

Good Luck.

Lucia

I'd suggest the 35mm F2 lens. It has a fixed focal length, but I've found this to be a very useful lens for my 20D and film Rebel. Its small, light, relatively cheap (about $200 in the US) and sharp. Its great for portraits (its about 55mm on a 20D) buildings and general photography. You can also focus quite close with it for flowers and things.

Best Wishes

Chris

Having owned both the 35 f/2 and 24-85, I can honestly say I loved both lenses. 35 is very sharp and fast enough to handhold most of the time with moderate ISOs. The 24-85 range was very useful on both a film and digital SLR. It's not the fastest but was excellent outdoors and plenty sharp once it's stopped down a bit. I guess it depends if you want a prime or a zoom. Both are recommended.

I can relate to being on a tight budget, but if you want one "all-around" lens that'll serve you long and well on both cameras, dig through your pockets and couch cushions and get the 17-40 f/4L. Great colors, tack sharp and built like a tank. It's WELL worth the money.

>> Now which all around lens can i buy and use for my Rebel T2 and 20D/30D? I am also on a tight budget because I am purchasing a new 20D/30D.

50/1.8.

Then again, if your budget is so tight maybe you should consider a used 300D and have more money for decent lenses.

Happy shooting,

Yakim.

If you can afford the EF 24-105 F4L IS then get that lens. It works very well on both my XTI & 5D. The EF 17-40 F4L also works well on both.

I had a good EF 24-85 F3.5-4.5 but discovered the 24-105 F4L IS beats it out on both the XTI & 5D. Oddly the EF 24-85 F3.5-4.5 is better on the 5D then the XTI. The 24-85 F3.5-4.5 was fine on the 10D but not so great on the XTI or 5D.

Not an "L" snob here. I just think the high resolution of the XTI, 10.2, and 5D, 12.8, require the best of lenses. Otherwide you see the failing of the lenses.

<p>I started off with the 28-105/3.5-4.5 USM as my walkabout lens on film. Then I upgraded to the 28-135/3.5-5.6 IS USM, which adds IS and is somewhat better optically (not that the 28-105 isn't good; it's one of the better consumer zooms on the market, but the 28-135 is even better). When I went digital with a 20D, I had to buy a wider lens because of the crop factor; a 28-x lens when mounted on a 1.6-crop body acts like a 45-y lens on digital, and 45 simply isn't wide enough for me.</p>

<p>So I'm doubtful that there is an all-around lens that works well on both full-frame and 1.6-crop bodies. Anything that's wide enough on digital (i.e. 17-x or therabouts) either has a relatively small zoom range (like the 17-40; 40 is nowhere near long enough on film to be a walkabout lens for me) or is digital-only (like the 17-85) and won't work on a film body. Anything that covers a good enough zoom range on film to be a walkabout lens (e.g. 24/28-85/105/135) isn't wide enough to be a walkabout lens on digital.</p>

<p>Would your budget stretch to buying a 20D or 30D kit with the 18-55 kit lens? It's not the world's best lens but it's not bad as kit lenses go, and it's cheap, and it has a useful range of focal lengths for a 1.6-crop body. Then hopefully you would have enough money left to buy perhaps the 28-105 (the good one, not the cheap one) for your film body.</p>