I have a bride that hasn't paid me in full yet. You see, my contract states

that the balance is to be paid in full 14 days before the wedding. As with any

other bride I remind them as that deadline approaches. Well, this particular

bride booked winter wedding 3 weeks before her wedding, I told her Thursday her

balance was due this Saturday. No problem, she'll get it taken care of she

says. Then she calls me Saturday evening, (I'm still at a wedding) and says she

was busy today with her kids soccer game and parties and just not got a break

she'll get the balance taken care of tomorrow. Sunday, nothing. I call her

Monday. She says she is driving home from store and will pay it that evening.

Nothing. I call her this morning not heard back yet, but I leave a message

stating that I'm calling AGAIN and she said a contract that states balance is

due 14 days before the wedding and she needs to have it paid by this afternoon.

Any advice on what any other professionals would do in this situation? Would

you just return her deposit and tell her to find someone else since she has now

breached the contract? I'm really trying to keep this professional, but at this

rate, nothing is getting done and the hassling is not worth the money to me.

This happened to me once. When I said that with the working of the contract the way it was I had no obligation to shoot the wedding or return the initial payments.

Now I had their full attention.

We worked it out that they would pay me in cash upon my arrival to shoot the wedding and that is how it worked out. Everything was fine.

This wedding had been scheduled well in advance. This worked for me on this occaision with this couple.

Stephen - if it really isn't worth the hassle, tell the bride that she is risking her deposit and the photography.

Personally, I don't think that a paid in full balance is very fair to my clients. I use a retainer plus the balance due on teh day of the wedding w/ no problems at all. And consider how many couples might like your work and will sign any contract to get your services - not really paying attention to how the payment system works.

Most of the other vendors don't get paid before they show up...

That aside, I think that a lot of people are very busy before a wedding, ESPECIALLY if they have kids. I would keep leaving messages but probably show up at the wedding. Worst case, you could say that you need to be paid in full the moment you arrive at the wedding or you walk away.

Obviously if she booked 3 weeks before her wedding, then she isn't the kind of person who really cares about whether or not everything goes perfectly on her wedding, and in fact, if you walked away, it sounds like she wouldn't be too concerned other than the retainer that she loses.

I know that your contract says 14 days, but I think that the couple might need a break, and might appreciate some flexibility.

I recently posted a similiar thread about a couple not paying the balance. I was reasonable and offered to 'split' it over a period to help out.

The result? I had an e-mail 3 weeks before the wedding saying that they had cancelled the wedding (I checked and that is true). I lost another wedding for that day. I'm keeping the deposit.

Next time 'up front 6 weeks prior'.

This seems to be as more common occurrence. Or at least common enough to prompt several posts over the past few months here on PN. There are lots of threads of similar stories here and it seems to fall back to the language of the signed contract, the ability to re-book the date, the relationship with the client (B&G) the need for the work, the local community opinions, etc. Be professional, always maintain respect for the client, adhere to the contract, keep a paper trail, be consistent. Always follow up phone conversations with an email or old fashioned letter (the kind with paper and a stamp.

Best of luck.

Why does everyone have to be so negative about it? Maybe she is sincere. In reality, how often does this happen? Once a year, maybe less? Just keep pressing her (nicely, not threatening her to loose the deposit, or give the date away). If she doesn't pay before the wedding, tell her you can't shoot it. In reality, this doesn't really happen too often. Make sure her check clears before you show her the proofs. Or, before you process them for that matter.

We take a retainer upon booking (plus any applicable travel fees). The balance is due the

day

of the wedding, when we arrive.

We have NEVER had a client miss a payment or pay late. We always have a credit card form

handy in case someone forgets their checkbook, and we've only needed to use that form

one

time.

Most vendors receive payment the day of the wedding, so the couple/parents/coordinator

arrive ready to hand out checks.

You may need to check the laws in your state regarding the "non-refundability" of a

retainer if you choose not to show up because of a late payment-in-advance. Some courts

don't recognize this type of contract.

My contract states 1/3 down, 1/3 two weeks before & the final 1/3 the day of. I've been doing it this way for years & haven't been taken advantage of yet. In this case,depending on how much of a retainer you've collected, I would shoot the wedding & ask for the money the day of the wedding. If I didn't recieve it I would archive the files until I've been paid in full & all checks have cleared. I feel that if you're too demanding and/or don't show up it can be bad for business in the long run. The way I do it, I have my time paid for before I get to the wedding.

Been in bizz for almost 20 years and have never been stiffed by Brides, but from photographers! Theywill pay when they get the money. Of course you don't give them a thing until the money is paid.

Being paid 14 days ahead of time seems harsh. We require 1/2 down and 1/2 the day of the wedding. Most of the time they forget to bring the money the day of the wedding. Again, it has never been a problem. They always pay!

I would always keep the retainer regardless. It equates to about 25% of the total shooting

fee in my case.

Providing relationships are in tact, I would always shoot the wedding on the promise of

future payment. However, I would not process the images, nor show them, until I had

been paid in full.

This way I am totally protected, reputation is safe and not vulnerable to any court action.

Imagine the consequences of a Judge deciding that the action of a photographer was

unreasonable, or that the contract was invalid for whatever reason:

"Your duty was to photograph that wedding and if not paid then to pursue the money

through the courts. Provide the damn photographs within 60 days Mr Photographer".

Much safer to have the photos in my possession I feel. Plus, I always enjoy shooting

weddings so it's no big deal.

Pre-sell, pre-paid, then you do the work. I always remembered my father stating, "never pay it all up front" and adhered to that thru my 30 years of Wedding Photography.

My guess, is if you shoot the wedding, hang on to the photographs, she will come up with your balance and you will be happy again.

I am satisfied with a deposit and then payment on delivery. Seems to have worked for me.

• 1 year later...