portrait lens

howard b. schwartz

I vote 210. Long enough to be a great portrait lens, short enough to be a little forgiving with depth of field. You might want to try a 210 first, and then go longer when you have the hang of doing them.

By the way, Polaroid Type 72 makes wonderful instant portraits (ISO 400, coaterless), which you can instantly mat in pe-cut mats and give to subjects. It's a ton of fun, and you'll really learn fast.

Enjoy!

I use which of these three lenses fits the Subject and Camera

All three were bought over some time, each one has its own personality

210mm/360 1955 vintage Simmar Convertible - Very Sharp at 210 bit Soft and Hard to focus at 360 very handy and dependable - Color NPS negs, Have wonderful depth and tone. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

240mm Tele xenar 1962 vintage Very Sharp Just covers 4x5 Works well if you have limited bellows (Crown Graphic)the lens is also nice and light weight. GOOD RESULTS

305mm F6.3 Radionar 1918 vintage Big old uncoated, bubbles in glass (suppose to be a sign of Quality)Sharpest at F11 and greater has a Sinc added Compound Shutter - Great lens for Close up B&W, Covers 8x10 with movements gives very pleasing results with Tmax and Fuji NPS 160 but you need to Over Expose 1/2 a stop to lift the contrast. I bought it from a dealer in Hollywood 8 years ago so It may have had a interesting history. SUPRISED ME

If you Ever see a 305 mm Radionar - Just buy it it might just surprise you too - Amazing lense.

It really depends on your pre-conceptions of what you're after.<br><p>A 240mm f4.5 Voigtlander Heliar is a superb portrait lens as is the Cooke PS 945. Both have a very different look.<br><p>Have a look at some of the pages on my little web site for some of the different "looks" that the different types of lenses can deliver.<br><br><br><p>

<a href="http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com">http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com</a><br><p>

Most of the portraiture is 8X10 though.<br><p>

A little lens I'm playing with right now is an antique 126mm Kodak triplett that has a helical for focusing on some old box camera. My idea is to focus normally with that little lens, then defocus with the helical to get a very soft portrait.

Hi Howard: More important than the focal length is the lens distance from the subject. If you keep at least 4 feet from the subject you can use any lens from 135 up. Naturally you get a bigger head at that distance with a longer lens. I know 210 mm is normally recommended, but a shorter lens works fine using that 4 foot rule. If you are in close on an individual head the best focal length is related to the facial structure. To minimize a large nose, use a longer lens--210 to 240. To maximize a smaller nose use a shorter lens --135 to 150. If you do not care about flattering the subject be aware of the above and use what gives you the look you want. This is from many years of full time portrait photo experience. Regards.--Bruce