AIS lenses & BH Photo / Adorama

fred508

Hello folks! I was wondering if anyone has had any issues ordering AI (S?)

lenses from the used depts at BH or adorama? I think I want to get some nice

used older Nikon glass to use on my Fuji S3, and newly purchased D200 (thanks

for the idea in the post about holiday itch buying ;)

I see some of these lenses on Ebay, but is it better to go with a dealer like

BH or Adorma on these older SWEET lenses?

Thanks!

Fred

Another vote for KEH. I have bought more 'bgn' gear from them than most people would believe....

I seem to recall a recent thread around here that implied that Adorama was less than great for used gear; something along the lines of that person would never buy used gear from Adorama unless they were in the store and held it in their hands first.

If buying new, check out B&H first, Adorama second.

When buying used ONLINE, go to KEH. Only buy USED from B&H or Adorama if you're in their store.

Most of the BGN lenses I've bought from KEH have been spotless, although one or two of BGN condition lenses I've bought have been in, well... bargain conditions.

In my experience, KEH's conservative rating reputation seems to be more true with lenses than bodies. While I would not hesistate to buy a lens in BGN condition from KEH, I personally would look for bodies in at least EX condition.

Just my $0.02.

KL

The worst BGN lenses I got from KEH have small amount of scratches on front elements, or some internal dust, but not both at the same time. It is hard to quantify those conditions but I'm confident image quality is not comprimised. Of course I had my share of delightful surprises from KEH. Most times BGN simply means appearance of some external wear.

I think it's incredibly smart and good business for them to adopt such a conservative rating system. It takes a lot of faith for photographers to commit to buying used equipment sight unseen.