What digital SLR body for the lenses I now own?

jack_kloppenburg

Friends,

I am a long-time photo enthusiast, advanced beginner level. Some years ago I

inherited an EOS-1N body from an uncle who worked in a camera store. I've

greatly enjoyed the 1N, though its capabilities are way beyond what I need.

For the 1N I have a Canon EF 50mm 1.4, a Canon EF 75-300 4-5.6 III USM, and a

Tamron 28-105 LD 2.8. After 2 years of also using a Canon S1 IS, I now see the

advantages of digital. From a financial pont of view, I sure would like to use

the lenses I have now. From what I read on-line, it seems that my EF lenses

(and the Tamron) would function on digital EOS bodies. Is that true? Even if

it is, it's hard to imagine the ergonomics of using those big lenses

(especially the large and heavy Tamron) on the downsized bodies of the Rebel XT

or XTi. I probably don't have the skill to justify thinking about the 30D.

I'd appreciate some advice from experienced photographers. Is it worth getting

an XT or XTi body if I anticipate using the lesnes I now own? I'd also lose

the wide angle end of my 28-105 with a switch to the digital body too, right?

What would be a good lens to recover that end of the spectrum (and I'd enjoy

having a macro capability)? Many thanks. Jack

<p>The two Canon lenses will definitely work on an EOS DSLR. The Tamron probably will; it will physically fit, but some third-party lenses don't work well on newer bodies and/or on digital bodies. If it works on any recent EOS DSLR, chances are it will work on all of them, and if it doesn't work on one of them, chances are it won't work on any of them, so a single test will likely answer that question for you.</p>

<p>There's a significant difference in how a 30D feels in your hands versus how one of the Rebels feels in your hands. There are also differences in capabilities (and, in some cases, in how easy it is to access a feature that's supported by them all). So you'll have to check out the specs to see how they compare against your needs (e.g. if you need the ability to fire off a burst of frames in rapid succession, the 30D's higher frame rate may be useful to you, but if you never do this, there's no point choosing a 30D because of this feature). You should also get your hands on them in real life and see how they fit your hands.</p>

<p>If you pick a body with a 1.6-crop sensor (that's anything at or below the level of the 30D), then yes, you'll have to cope with the 1.6x crop factor for all your lenses. You'll lose the wide end of your 28-105; it will act like a 45-168. The 50 will change from a normal lens to a medium telephoto. The 75-300 will also act like it's longer. If you want your lenses to keep their current fields of view, look at a 5D, which has a full-frame sensor (and a much higher price tag). To retain 28 (equivalent) coverage, you'll need to go to about 17 or 18. The 18-55 kit lens is not bad as kit lenses go, and cheap, but while I don't know your Tamron's reputation, I suspect you'll be disappointed by the 18-55. The next step up is the 17-85/4-5.6 IS USM; optically, it's an above-average consumer zoom, and it has the magic of IS. Another option is the 17-55/2.8 IS USM; optically, it's supposed to be up there with the pro lenses, and it too has the magic of IS, but you sacrifice some of the long end to get the fast aperture. Those three 18-x or 17-x lenses are all digital-only; they only work on Canon's 1.6-crop bodies from the last few years. Another fine lens worth considering is the 17-40/4L USM, a full-frame honest-to-goodness pro-quality lens. Pro in every way: optics, mechanics, build quality. Many of us use it as our standard zoom on a 1.6-crop body.</p>

<p>If you want serious macro capability, you want a real macro lens, not a zoom. For occasional use, a good zoom with a close-focus feature will get you to maybe 1/4 or 1/3 life-size, but don't expect results to be as good as you'd get at the same magnification with a true macro lens. Another option is to add a close-up lens or extension tubes to one of your lenses.</p>

"I probably don't have the skill to justify thinking about the 30D"

Never mind justification: get the 5D, your 50mm 1.4 will be right at home on it, for starters. If you like the EOS-1N dimensions and feel, the Rebels will be a letdown.

I just don't see compromising what you get because of your skill level. If you can possibly afford it, and can clear it with the boss, go for it!

Hi there,

I would get the Rebel if I were you, the reason being that your glass doesn't really warrant

anything better - not saying there's anything really wrong with a Rebel.

You will lose the wide angle on any 1.6 crop camera - the 28mm will be more like a

44.8mm. There are two main options for getting it back - and they depend on where you

see your long-term future.

If you want to get really serious and will be looking at full frame one day, then take a look

at the 17-40/4L. If not, the 10-22 or 17-85 will do the trick as long as you realise you will

not be able to use them on anything other than a 1.6 camera.

Getting back to the camera comment: I don't think anyone should be dropping $5000 on a

DSLR if they don't have the glass to make use of it. You should have a good set of quality

lenses before you go down that path - they will make much more of a difference to the

final image than a superduper camera.

Get the Rebel, use it, learn to shoot digital, and gradually build up your lense collection.

When you have what you need there will definitely be something better out there than the

30D or 5D, for less money, and you will have the lenses to make it shine.

Good luck,

"it's hard to imagine the ergonomics of using those big lenses ... on the downsized bodies of the Rebel XT or XTi."

I regularly use a 24-70 f2.8L on an XT. It's not the greatest in camera handling balance, but works well enough. Or you can think of it another way, this is the lightest camera body you can pair with an already heavy lens. Not necessarily a bad thing, eh?

"I'd also lose the wide angle end of my 28-105 with a switch to the digital body too, right?"

Sure, that's also why I shoot film on an EOS A2 as well. Just because you buy a DSLR doesn't mean you have to sell your excellent film body. In fact, I doubt you'll be able to get a price high enough for the 1N to make the exercise worthwhile.

I'd suggest simply buying the XTi body and hold on additional lens purchases. You'll know what you'll want after using a 1.6x crop after awhile. Now, the caveat is that Canon has a double rebate going right now. You'll want to see if this affects your budgeting.

"...don't have the skill to justify thinking about the 30D."

The XTi has actually better image capture electronics than the 30D. Remember, when you buy a digicam you're buying the "film" as well (and that's what you're stuck with for the duration that you own the camera.) How you feel about the specifics of camera handling, well, that's a matter of personal preferences more than anything else.

My first suggestion to you is to decide between the 30D and 400D with regards to handling. Go to the store and try them both. BTW, with the current rebates the financial difference between them is only about 100$.

My second suggestion to you is to buy the 10-22 USM with the preferred body. This will cover up all your wide angle shots and will nicely blend with the current lenses you now have.

Happy shooting,

Yakim.