Light metering method

joe_bailey2

I know that light from the key and fill add together. I want to see if any

others here meter this way. I used to meter each light individually to establish

the ratios. Example: I'd set the Key at f11.0 and Fill at f8.0 metering each

light individually. My final reading with both lights on was always a 1/2 stop

brighter at f11.5. I used to have to move the lights an equal distance to get

back to my working aperture of f11.0.

Now (for this same ratio) I just set my Key at f8.5 and my fill at f5.6.5

(individually). The final reading is always f11.0 with both lights on. My

exposure appears to be correct. Does anyone else meter this way? Is this a

correct method? TIA

It all depends on your subject. Imagine taking a picture of a big cube, from the corner. Each of your lights would only illuminate one of the faces -- there would be little or no spill onto the opposite face. And therefore no additive increase in the exposure.

Lighting a flat panel would be the exact opposite -- all light would be additive. And everything else is somewhere in-between.

"Imagine taking a picture of a big cube, from the corner. Each of your lights would only illuminate one of the faces..."

One light on each side of the subject, as described above, is not the correct placement and relationship of key and fill light.

The fill light should be placed above (or below) the lens, on the lens axis. A fill light placed properly that way will illuminate both sides of the "cube" or subject equally.

A second light placed anywhere other than on the lens axis is not a fill light, it's a second light. As a second light it will create it's own second set of shadows.

• 4 weeks later...
I meter my lights to get the ratios I want by pointing the meter at the light sources. I then set my shooting aperture off the main light. This is how Dean Collins did it and I seem to prefer my results with this method over the other methods of metering the combined flashes or pointing the meter at the camera instead of the lights.

• 2 weeks later...