Flash fault

farmer on the hill

I have a D200 with a SB-800 Flash, yesterday while shooting a wedding, the

flash started firing on it's own, sometimes when I was taking a shot, the

flash would fail. Can anyone tell me what is going on? Is it a problem with

the camera or is it the flash? When I take the flash off the camera, it does

not happen. I have another photo shoot this evening and am concerned.

Help required fast on this end.

Thanks

Jonathan Farmer

I would almost bet you money that it was not securely fastened into the camera hot shoe when this happened. I've been using various Nikon speedlights for years and once in a while, wouldn't seat the flash fully (easier to do on the older SB's with the thumbwheel lock), and they would go crazy on their own. Just like when they get low on batteries and start misbehaving, though the fact that you say it acts normally when off-camera makes me think that's not it.

Anyway, I would clean the contacts on both speedlight and hot shoe, visually inspect the locking lever for any issues, and experiment to see if you can duplicate the issue. Probly' not a real problem, though. Good luck.

Hi Jonathan,

I have experienced the same thing some time ago, using the same flash/cam combo. First thought the flash was broken, but testing on a D70 didn't make the problem reoccur. Cleaning both surfaces did solve the problem at the time.

Recently the problem starts to begin again. Seems the D200/SB800 needs a lot of cleaning. I also think that the flash is not mounted very firmly onto the camera. There seems to be a bit of slack... Is that comon?