m motor drive newest version

mark_brown11

This has been discussed here in this forum before with the usual ridiculousness over which is "better."

I had the current M motor for a couple of years and only used it a handful of times. Overall, it is a well-designed instrument and, for what it is, very quiet. The bouncing finger thing is a bit strange, but over time you'll get used to it.

However, for me the grip is too big for my hands and it adds too much weight to the overall package. Ultimately I sold it and bought a Leicavit. I rarely use it, but I like the balance and grip it adds to the camera.

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra

I'm amazed how rarely anyone mentions what I think is the big big advantage with the motor,

you can shoot a sequence of images while having a stable and constant image in the

viewfinder, while still being able to focus. I tried the rapidwinder and found you tend to get a

lot of camera movement as you wind on, and of course you're not able to focus while doing

so. I shoot weddings so I do shoot the occasional sequence, sometimes moving, so the focus

freedom is a big benefit to me. One other thing, the battery life is fantastic, I'm not sure

exactly, but I know I've had 60+ films from one set.........Robert.

at the "loud" setting it is not nearly as loud as a nikon slr. except maybe the late

nikons like f100. at the "quiet" setting it's really pretty discreet in a room with

conversation.

in continuous mode it does 3 frames a second, which is plenty fast.

a lot of traditional Leica M users feel no need for any kind of motor, which is fine. but

if you're one of the few photojournalists still shooting film or digital + film, then the

motor can be very useful. sometimes i shoot with one digital SLR and a leica with the

motor, digital for color and the leica for B+W.

other times if i'm shooting all B+W i use one Leica with the Leicavit and one with the

motor. this is actually a very good combination if you're working with two Leicas --

because some situations require the speed of the motor and then others require an

approach still fast but lower key -- the Leicavit.

Before either the Motor or the Leicavit i used an Abrahmsson rapidwinder. Being left-

eye dominant, the traditional lever advance slows me down a lot.

The Motor M is MUCH, MUCH better than the previous M and M4-2 motors, which

were bigger, louder, slower, and far less ergonomic in the hand.

All in all it's an under-rated piece of equipment. I recommend it highly if you need

speed.

A trip to google will sure answer a lot of questions.<p>

<a href="http://www.google.com/search?q=leica%20m%20motor">http://www.google.com/search?q=leica%20m%20motor</a><p>

Steven Gandy on his site gives an overview of the different M motors, while my FAQ gives a detailed user-review.<p>

FWIW I use both the Motor-M and Rapidwinder. Different tools for different jobs :?)