ft away. I put the same lens on the DL and shot the same scene and the DL never

confirmed focus when the subject was out of focus. I got 25% out of focus and I

want to add in most of the shots nothing was in focus I tried to see what the

camera locked on to but the entire shot was off. I have been over the manual

and nothing has said I'm doing anything wrong. I know the camera can lock on a

leaf or mail box when you think you locked on your subject I've been there and

have never had this margin of error. Most of my shots were of police SWAT teams

and crime scene investigations. I have taken over 10,000 photos with my ist DL

and have never had an issue of the camera confirming an out of focus object.

Jonathan,

not saying you did anything wrong but I saw many of these type complaints but unknowledgable users on DPreview.com. ultimately when these people were questioned (essentially so we could see if there were problems or user error) the user tended to break down and reveal they didn't set the camera properly.

Many times these were users of digital compacts upgrading to and SLR and expecting everything to work similarly.

In anycase, my only question would be 1) did you have it set to AF single or continuous? The reason I ask is that your DL had no such option and you might have overlooked this.

When one person typically finds glaring problems with a camera I take it with a grain of salt and anyone who is also a Dpreview poster has seen this sort of hysteria for weeks.

The example image certainly doesn't indicate an AF issue per se -- the problem seems to be far too many possible subjects. It's entirely possible that your trusty *ist DL simply ignored most of the possible focus targets in favor of center-most subject focus (which seems to be what you want, assuming the officer in the background was your intended target).

Without a bit more information about which mode you were using the K10D in, or some bracketing shots, I think you may just be struggling with a less "automatic" focus system. Given the increased viewfinder size and sensitivity of the K10D, I wonder if manual focus might not be a better choice?

Trust me I had the camera set right. I have used a Pentax DSLR and taken over 10,000 shots with it. The focus was set on center and I have been over the manual. I went back to the store and we were able to make the camera take several out of focus shots when it thought they were in focus. The one photo I posted did have a busy background but the camera was out of focus in several other shots that did not have a busy background. I'll be happy to post more photos later...Again I have a Pentax ist DL not a point and shoot and know the level of out of focus shots that I got from the K10 on several different occasions is very high...I thought this was just an issue with my camera but if you say others are having this problem then that makes me worry about exchanging for another K10.

The DL does have continuous focus setting. I had the camera on single just like the DL I use. I played with both settings the continuous tends to lock on other objects to much and I am not a fan of it on the DL or K10. I went over and over the manual to see if I was missing anything and there is not that much to it... I even got the same issue when set in auto focus where the camera picks the best focus point again not a fan of this option but I wanted to see if I could see a change in the focusing system and it still locks on out of focus objects. The K10 even on center tends to lock on object just below the center square on the view finder. I hope this is just the unit I bought because I have waited for the K10 and invested in the Pentax system so be sure I ran the camera over and back. It will take nice shots in focus when you take time with it.

I futher investigated the post on the DP forum and it seems to be a problem with the K10 Front focusing. I read several post explaining the same problems I'm having, and if this isn't a problem and just the way the camera is you can kiss it good buy. I would feel better photographing a police shoot-out with my ist DL than the K10. I want to get the issue out there so everyone can check for it! I have owned Pentax equipment for 20 years and don't trash their product lightly.

I am sorry to read of your front focusing problems and the others' same experiences with K10D on dpreview forum. Hopefully its a fixable bug issued in the first batch of bodies. I hadn't noticed pentax dropped the iso 3200 to iso1600 until you pointed that out. I think it was you?

Lindy

The photo you posted sure isn't an example of front focusing in my opinion. If anything, it's back focusing. But then again, it doesn't look like too much is in focus anywhere. What lens was used?

And your post seems to indicate that you think the K10d is a dud. Did you ever think you might just have gotten a bad example? Did your store offer to exchange it, or did you go in with the idea you were going to get a refund?

Sure, I'd be upset if I bought something like that that had a problem, but problems can be fixed.

Oh yes they will exchange it they are very helpful. The photo was taken with a 135fa 2.8 I got the same problem with the 18-55 and Tamron 28-200mm. I'm sure Pentax will fix the issue, and the K10 is a nice camera I really liked it ! I have to look past company names and go with something that will do what I need it to do. I like Pentax but I am now at the point where I understand a camera is a tool and I have to have 100% confidence in my equipment.

I used a K1000 for 17 years...I changed the K10D out for a Nikon D 80 and have not on shot today out of focus...I'm just letting the people know who thought I couldn't operate a camera that a Nikon I have played with for one hour and never owning a Nikon It preformed.

I think this post is off track. I would urge new K10D owners to check the focus of their unit the high rate of out of focus shots was very high for the one I bought. I also wanted to make the point that I'm not new to DSLR operation and didn't contribute to the malfunction of the camera. I picked the D80 as a alternative to the K10D because I read about the improved focusing of the D80. The last shot I posted was from a group of 17 none were out of focus. The first photo from the K10D was from a group of 25 in which 12 were out of focus. I don't care about Nikon,Canon or Pentax to be honest I do care about a solid camera the will work. I don't look forward to buying new lenses and flash unit, just keep in mind I have all Pentax gear and didn't come to this conclusion lightly. I remember Ansel Adams wrote that "you shouldn't get wrapped up in the gear" He wrote "there will always be a better camera, but to get one that fits your needs." I am happy with the D80 and like the low light focus high iso and feel it's focusing has the speed I need. I have used both the K10D and the D80 is fast paced environments and the D80 locked on faster and didn't get confused or fidgit while trying to comfirm the subject in focus. I love my Pentax 135mm 2.8 and will continue to use it on the ist DL and I hope to see Pentax perfect their Semi Pro DSLRs.

Some new FA135mm2.8 birdie I took the last week

http://www.pbase.com/danieltong/image/71669548/large.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/danieltong/image/71669545/large.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/danieltong/image/71854267/large.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/danieltong/image/71854268/large.jpg

I am sorry to knwo about your trouble with K10D. Looks like you have a lemon. Pentax may have a firmware to deal with shortly. I hope

Daniel

Toronto

Hi Jonathan,

1. Set Your K10D ( Side Located - Directly Under the RAW Button ) Focus Selector Switch to "AF.S"

2. Set Your K10D ( Back Panel Located... Auto / SEL / . to "."

This will put Your K10D in Single Auto-Focus Mode with the Center of Your Screen Location as Your Single Target for Focus.

From Your Initial Description Your K10D was Set to "AF.C" which is Continous Auto-Focus and AUTO which Selects Multply points of Focus and Gives You the Average.

Changing the Above 2 Items will Totally Change the Way Your K10D Auto Focus System Works... Just Try It and See !

Happy Holiday Seasons !

Cheers,

Orion Mayair

Hi again Jonathan,

My Last Message did NOT Take Another Factor into Consideration...

THE LENSE YOU ARE USING !

The 1st Lense I got for my K10D was a Used Tamron 75-300 and it was very Hit and Miss as far as the way it Focussed or Didn't Focus.

I went to a New Sigma 70-300mm DG APO Macro Lense and My Focussing Improved by a Hugh Amount !

You might want to Try Some Other Lenses and See If you Get the Same Results... My Guess is... You Won't !

Good Luck !

Orion Mayair