EF 80-200/2.8L - what's a fair U.S. price?

howard_yune

I'm thinking of getting Canon's old "Magic Drainpipe" 80-200mm f/2.8 L lens.

Since it's obviously been out of production for years, maybe you can help decide

what price is fair for one.

Recently I've seen two copies of the Drainpipe, both rated "EX+" in the KEH

system - 90-96 percent of original condition, perfect glass, minor cosmetic

flaws. The one with a tripod mount is $750 and the one without is $700. Are

these on the high side, or appropriate in the current market? (I'm told the

tripod mount is $100 or more by itself.)

Your advice is appreciated!

Thanks,

Howard

I insist on the repair issue. My optically mint Drainpipe is a pretty paperweight on my desk because the zoom mechanism is dead and there is no way to find parts for it anymore. I have kept hoping to find a Drainpipe with smashed optics sold for parts, but I have found none so far. So be aware that any failure will certainly be the end of your investment's life. This is a rather big risk - I would not take it again. Definitely consider buying a used 70-200/2.8 L for USD 300 more. By the way my paperweight is available for sale to anyone looking for the optical parts !

I agree with the above posters. The prices you quote aren't bad by KEH standards but viewed in the larger context they're a little high, especially since the(non-IS) 70-200, with tripod mount, routinely sells on eBay for $800-900 (do a "Completed Auctions" search to see).

If the difference is only $100-150 I'd go for the 70-200 (I know I'm comparing KEH to eBay, which isn't really fair, but careful buyers can do very well on eBay).

I owned a drainpipe back in the '90s, and it was a great lens, but in my experience it's not discernibly better than the 70-200 -- and the fact that the latter accepts extenders AND can be serviced by Canon is huge.