Best COMPACT digital camera for macro photography

melaniec

I am looking for a replacement for my venerable Nikon Coolpix 950, which could focus as close as 2 cm

and took great macro photos with almost no effort on my part. My criteria are (2) better than the 950's 2

megapixels and (b) as small as possible. In the past I used my Coolpix for research photos (fossils --

small osteological features, teeth, etc.) and for fun macros (bugs, etc.) and I'd keep using it except that

the image quality just isn't up to snuff anymore and it's kind of large for a pocket camera.

I will also be using this camera as my all-around pocket digicam. I already have a Nikon D70s so I am not

looking for another dSLR and am not currently in the market for a macro lens. Some cameras that interest

me are the Panasonic LX2/Leica D-Lux 3, and the Canon Powershot SD series. The current Nikon Coolpix

offerings don't excite me but my opinion could change if their macro performance is still as good as it was

in the past.

At the time I got the Coolpix 950, it was the undisputed king of digital macro in the prosumer range, but

it seems like there is currently no recognized leader in this segment. Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks very much, Melanie