Arca-Swiss Discovery Upgradeability?

danperez

I am seriously considering purchasing an Arca-Swiss Discovery and have been

doing my homework on other models. I?ve also been watching the used market but

nothing of particular interest has cropped up.

My question has to do with the Discoveries potential upgradeability. I have

downloaded the catalog for Arca-Swiss and notice that it reads ?The economy

priced Discovery allows you to extend your system with the components of the

already established Arca-Swiss camera program.? However it is not really clear

on how far once can expand or upgrade this system.

Does this mean that if I decide later on down the road that I want the features

of an AS F-Metric with orbix that I can simply order the front and rear function

carriers with that feature and swap out the old ones? If that is the case, then

I will make the plunge!

Even thought the modular parts for the Discovery are named as though they are

specific to that model, there does not seem to be any difference between the

format frames of the Discovery and the other 4x5 models.

Any input and/or clarification would be helpful.

Thanks,

-Dan

I want to say that you can add the orbix to the discovery, at least that's what my feeble brain remembers. But you should double check that.

However, even if you can't upgrade to the orbix, the Discovery is is GREAT camera. They come onto the used market so rarely, you will probably be able to sell it for close to what you bought it for.

If I could convince myself to process 4x5 more than just once in a while, I would buy a Discovery again in an instant. I still miss the one I used to have. The Discovery, the Xpan, and Leica M6 are the only reasons that I miss film.

Unless the Discovery has been recently changed, the Discovery uses the older style 171mm format frames, while the A-S F lines and the M use the newer 141mm format frames. The mounting dovetail on the function carrier will accept either style frame. So to answer your question, you could upgrade by purchasing new Function Carriers and a new format frame with Orbix, but it would be cheaper to sell the Discovery and buy the A-S F-Metric.

Terry- You would need the front and back 6x9 format frames and a bellows. The Discovery came with a 30cm rail and a small 8.5cm tripod mount. It is much nicer to transport the camera on a 15cm rail, and place that on a 30cm or so tripod mount with another 15cm or so rail. When adding that in, it would probably be cheaper to purchase a complete 6x9 F.

I would agree with Doug..... If possible, buy the F. It has more options.

Dan-

The Discovery is a great way to enter the Arca system. The Discovery can take the accessories from the other Arca cameras. It can even become an 8x10 (if you get the 8x10 frame and bellows). In a nutshell, the Arca system is very modular and the Discovery is just as modular as the rest.

It is VERY STABLE, smooth, and precise in movements. A wonderful camera to use. With due respect to Linhof, I like it better than the Tecnika.

The one downside to the Arca is carrying it in the field. The Discover does come with a nice case, but it is a pain to use the camera with a Lowe Pro backpack. All of that changes if you get a folding or telescoping rail. This is also a perfect example to how modular the Arca system is. Get the rail, and suddenly the Discovery folds like the Arca F field camera. And it does so for hundreds less. Add in a lensboard adapter and you can use Arca 110 or Linhof boards.

Ok, now you have all the functionality of the F-field for hundreds less. Get a used Discovery and save even more.

I find the Discovery can be used with upto a 210mm lens easily. You can maybe squueze a 240mm if you overhang the rail ends. On the short end, I have seen a 75mm used. You can still tilt all you want (base tilts) but rise and swing will be minimal at that focal length. If you go that short or use rise, consider a bag bellows for any lens shorter than a 135mm.

If you like what ARCA offers, the Discovery is a perfect way to get into the system