My 30d just died...

davyjo

I have had a 30D for almost exactly 30 days and it just quit powering up. Tried

both my Canon batteries and nothing. Briefly got a faint glow from the red LED

by the quick control dial then nothing. It quit once before and restarted when I

pulled then replaced the same battery.

Anyone else had this experience?

The customer support person spent about 4 seconds with me, he just said,"Send it

in."

So it's heading to New Jersey tomorrow.

Anyone had any experience with Canon Service?

I was looking forward to Christmas with the camera but I think that will be a

longshot...

Thanks

Dave

Happens to my cellphone once in a while. Just needs a total reset: remove batteries and let sit

for a few hours. In your case, you need to remove the PRAM/backup as well as main

batteries.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

Hi David, When you call Canon to register the repair ask them to email you the UPS shipping label. It takes a while (maybe a day - sometimes less) to receive it; however it'll save you money because (according to what I was told by Canon) if you do it that way, it's insured. I believe this is only an option for warranty repairs but if you don't ask for it, they may not offer it.

I'd *never* had *any* problems with *any* Canon gear until about 3 weeks ago when the flash mount on the top of my 1DsII became loose. Of course it was out of warranty. Anyway, I sent it off to New Jersey and paid almost $80 for *just* the insurance! I also asked them to please do a CLA (Cleaning, Lubrication Adjustment) while it was there.

I got it back about 10 days later - everything seemed spiffy new and worked fine... Until Saturday night when I had to shoot a Christmas party. I believe I had a shutter failure - that or the mirror wasn't getting out of the way. (Nope - wasn't flash synch; it did it with or without the flash)

Sooo... I called 'em back and explained that *this* certainly had never happened until they repaired it and did the CLA. The guy I spoke to emailed me the label and I'm now without my "baby" for another 10 days and not terribly thrilled about it - but stuff happens.

It's possible it's a coincidence and their taking it apart a few weeks prior to its demise had nothing to do with it... but I somehow doubt it and so did they since they sent me the label for free shipping. I believe their repair work is warrantied for a certain amount of time (60 days I *think* but could be wrong) Good luck!

Dave,

several years ago, when I got my 10D (I now have a 30D), I experienced a freeze-up with my camera shooting a rugby match. The camera was only barely 6 months old, and I was at a playoff tournament. Fortunately I had a Rebel 2000 as a backup, so I shot the remaining match with film.

This was 2 weeks before we made the finals when this happened. So I called Canon, explained the problem, sent the camera to New jersey, with a not explaining the situation that I needed the camera for the Final 4 playoffs in Pittsburgh.

Happy to say they were real understanding, fixed my camera as it was under warranty (there was more than the shutter that was the problem apparently), and I got it back 2 days before I had to fly out to Pittsburgh. So I had my camera for the USA Rugby Final 4 tournament that our team was in - a very happy customer.

All in all, I had a good experience with their service department - I hope you also will.

sheryl

Something is definitely wrong because even though it happens, you shouldn't have to perform a reset (taking batteries out and letting it sit for an hour or two) unless it short circuited as one poster mentioned or maybe some water or perspiration go inside or some static that collected on you got discharged. I would take it back to the retailer for warranty repairs.

Unfortunately I live in a rural area with no local store that stocks anything so I bought it online from an authorized dealer. It is also just outside the 30 day window.

I asked the service rep about paying for shipping and he flatly refused.

Even when I complained that I had just spent $1800+ on the camera and lens's and it failed so quickly, expressing my displeasure about not having it back before X-mas etc...

My 30D died on me about three days after I bought it. I had it tethered to my computer, I

took some shots, fiddled with the settings, and told it to take another shot -- and it just

died. I tried everything, but nothing would revive it. I returned it to the dealer for an

exchange. (I went back to shooting film for the next few weeks.)

I know this information doesn't help you in any way, except maybe to know that you're not

the only one. (I don't think it's common, though, or you'd see many more people posting

things like this in forums.)

In my experience, Canon repairs can be quick -- it's not impossible that you'll have the

camera back for Christmas (although I wouldn't count on it).

I sent the camera out this morning Priority Mail insured. They should have it Friday. I'll keep my fingers crossed for Christmas.

Thanks for all your input/support.

It's funny because my ipod died last week still under an extended Apple warranty, I called Apple on Sunday DHL dropped a box off on Tuesday, picked up the Ipod/box on Thursday and a brand new Ipod was back to me on Monday. No cost to me.

Very different approach from Canon and was quite dissapointed when they refused to cover the shipping. Oh well...

My dead 30D just arrived back from Canion service exactly 7 days from the time it left my hands. Someone somewhere at Canon service must have pulled some strings and it got placed on the top of the pile. I had a long talk with a rep and a supervisor last friday and they assured me that it wouldn't be back before Christmas and that was life etc. (I was pleasantly bitchy) I called yesterday and they said it was being looked at...it arrived back here today!

Just thought I'd pass on my experience. Much better than expected. I did call today and thank them. The rep was very happy to register my happiness.