420EX external power supply?

john_davids

Probably not. At least I haven't seen any AC power supplies for the 550EX/580EX high voltage port.

But one thing the 550EX/580EX Speedlites will do is allow you to use Canon's CP-E3 ($140). It still uses AA batteries (12 of them counting the four in the flash), but it recycles your flash far faster than would ever be possible for a 420EX/430EX and does so for hundreds of shots. I used it for one wedding where I took over 700 flash shots and the NiMH batteries never slowed down. In fact, I've never run out of power with it at a wedding. And since it's portable you don't have to go looking for a AC power socket. Great for location shooting.

Hook it up to a power generator. Honda 3000 come to mind! Flash won't last but you will have a blast shoot a few shots with it! Seriously it may be a weak mono light depending on what you want to do, and for just a few extra bucks you can get you into some really decent stuff with modeling lights built in and everything.

This will fit your flash from Quantum.

New Canon Flash 430EX is Compatible with Quantum Batteries

Available Now

Use a Quantum Battery 1 Compact or Bantam Battery with our flash module XB2 connected into the flashes battery compartment. You get consistent recycling and typically 5 times the capacity of "AA" batteries.

If you have a Quantum Battery 1+ use the flash module MB2 to deliver power to the Canon 430EX flash.

All Quantum power packs display power remaining and charge level using an LED "fuel gauge". Quantum Batteries typically yield the same power as $2000 worth of "AA" batteries. Make sure you get the great birthday or anniversary photo. Remember, you only get one chance to take a once in-a-lifetime photo so make sure your flash is connected to a Quantum Battery.

News, wedding and other professional photographers depend on Quantum Batteries for their flash and power pack needs.You get consistent recycling and typically 5 times the capacity of "AA" batteries.

Flash Cable MB5 / Quantum Battery 1+, 1c

Flash Cable XB5 / Bantam Battery, Battery 1 Compact

http://www.qtm.com/index.php?res_set=yes&res=1024&resh=768 Best of luck.