Canon Telephoto EF 135mm f/2.8 Autofocus Lens Soft Focus

christian_scarnici1

It's among the sharpest teles I've owned. Even wide open my 1990 copy was tack sharp. AF

is fast due to interbal focus albeit you hear a pianoissmo "shiiish" due to the older style AF

motor. It's also small 'n light and makes a wonderful outdoor portrait, street and indoor

sport lens.

The designation "Soft Focus" refers to the two levels of dial-in spherical aberration that

softens and imparts a beautiful glow to the image. Unlike a soft filter, you can quickly vary

the effect by changing the aperture or soft focus setting. AF works perfectly with soft

focus engaged, but if you change soft focusing settings after AF, you'll have to refocus.

The soft focus effect is only visible from F2.8 to 4, so you need to use Av or M mode and

shoot slow ISO during the day. Highlights, especially on backlit subjects, enhance and

intensify the glowing effect. I didn't find much use for the SF, except for a few portraits of

older women (removes wrinkles!).

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

I picked one up, but mostly because it makes a fast, lightweight, relatively cheap and razor sharp ~200mm equivalent on my XT that shares nice inexpensive 52mm filters with my 28/2.8 and 50/1.8. The softfocus is interesting but I never played with it much; it feels too gimmicky for most situations.

Ditto with puppy, its my favourite lens next to 200/2.8, light sharp, noisy AF but bang on target always, dreamy SF that I`ve never seen duplicated in PS or with filters, (close but not). great outdoor portraits specially those soft bride shots. just a little long in the studio on x1.6. saw one recently brsmd new in box s/h less than 1/2 price. Well worth its value, I often use it instead of the long end of the 28 135IS as its much better with IQ.

HTH

An all-around awesome lens. I think that the fact that this is the only original EF lens still being produced today without modification (it is a nineteen year-old design after all) is testament to its virtues. It is tack sharp even wide open, and stands its ground against its much more expensive cousin the 135mm f/2L. If you like the outstanding results only a prime lens can offer, it will not disappoint. If you love zoom lenses, you?ll be blown away by how sharp images are with this lens.

On top of that there is the soft-focusing ability which no other EF lens offers. It effectively offers #1 and #2 diffusing filters along with the normal (sharp setting). Actually this is really achieved by moving an aspherical element in the lens so you need not set the lens to any preset setting; it will work fine anywhere between the ?0? and ?2? settings. My favorite portrait setting is about where 2/3 would be on the dial.

As Puppy Face has noted there are two minor tribulations to consider. First, the older AFD style motor is loud and slow by today?s standards. Second, the soft-focus ability is only really for use at large apertures. Really though, neither of these minor details should discourage you from considering this lens. I highly recommend it.

The soft focus effect varies with the setting on the lens which is infinitely variable

anywhere from 0 to 2 - you do NOT have to feel limited to the detents. But it also is

decreased by stopping down the aperture as well. So bear in mind that setting #2 at f/2.8

is going to be much softer than setting #2 at f/16.

As the others have said above, it's cheap, sharp, light, and the AF is fast and quiet. I really

like this lens and would not give it up.

It also resists flare better than about anything else I have, which is a good side bonus.

Andy, please look at the pictures in this test.

http://www.kramery.com/DUarticles/detail.asp?iArt=445

It is in Hebrew but the important part are the pictures. First batch (three pictures) are tagged as 'Normal', 'Front' and 'Rear'. Second batch (three pictures) are tagged the same. I hope they emphasize what I meant to say. The Canon lens allows you to alter the degree of the spherical aberration. The Nikon lens allows you to alter the position of the spherical aberration.

Am I making myself clear?

Happy shooting,

Yakim.

"Andrew, I am not 100% sure but I think you are wrong. As I understand this, Nikon DC

lenses offer you the choice between front and rear defocus while the Canon version does

not.

Happy shooting, Yakim."

The DC lenses let users control the rendering of the out of focus portion of the frame. But

they do not provide any sort of 'soft focus' effect at all.

By contrast, the Canon lens provides soft focus, but doesn't allow one to have any 'defocus

control'. Two completely different lenses without a thing in common with each other.

From what I understand, the defocus control lenses allow you to alter the appearance of

the out of focus parts of the image, creating more or less blur in front of or behind the

subject plane. You can crank the defocus control all the way to one side or another and

decrease image sharpness that way, but I don't think these lenses have the same uses.

Many of the example photographs show part of the subject as being blurred, but another

part sharp. See http://www.stacken.kth.se/~maxz/defocuscontrol/ for more details.

Additionally, most soft focus filters tend to cast a haze over the entire image, whereas soft

focus lenses tend to impart a glow to the lighter parts of the image, while affecting the

darker components a bit less.