Mounting flash on a bracket & on camera

matt_k1

I know it's generally better to have your flash on a bracket (avoiding unwanted shadows, reducing red-eye,

etc.) and except for the first couple that I assisted/second shot a long time ago, I've always had my flash

on a bracket.

<p>

I'm wondering if there's any issue with just mounting the flash on the camera body (no-bracket) for

"outdoor" fill-flash shots during the day. Then using the bracket indoors and stuff. Main problem I can

think of is redeye when it gets darker outdoors. But I'm thinking for fill I should be alright. Any thoughts?

<p>

The reason I ask is that I shoot Canon and recently got an ST-E2 transmitter to trigger my flash. I use it

both to trigger the bracket mounted 580EX and occasionally with the flash off-camera held by an assistant

or on a stand. Outdoors, in some situations, the infrared trigger doesn't always work. In those cases I

just revereted back to using my off-shoe cord to connect the flash. But with my particular bracket setup,

it's hard to swap that in and out. So it'd be easier just to take the flash off the bracket and slap it on the

camera's hot-shoe.

<p>

You're always better off with the bracket. It helps avoid red eye and shadows even in situations where you don't expect them. But I prefer the type that flips the camera rather than the flash. I've had both styles and flipping the flash can make the rig too top heavy for my taste. (I've got the Stroboframe Pro-T and the Stroboframe CameraFlip among others.) As for the transmitter, get a real PocketWizard instead of the infrared unit and you'll be fine.

matt - if you are just using fill for outdoors, then I don't think that it is worth the trouble.

if, however, you are using the flash as the primary source of light (ie. you have a really contrasty sun and you need to overpower the sun with flash), then a bracket would help...

a gary fong also helps outdoors but will definitely suck power...

thanks, sounds like I am indeed okay in most situations when it comes to fill. As always,

being aware of the ambient lighting conditions, backgrounds etc. is key and will dictate

actual course of action and results (why does that sound funny saying that?).