An informal survey on renting equipment

jenacolson

We rent equipment ALL THE TIME! :)

<p>

We rent from <a href="http://www.ppratlanta.com">PPR</a> here in Atlanta.

<p>

We've rented everything from tripods to lights to lenses to Pocket Wizards to entire camera

bodies. It's especially great when you're starting out and you don't have the money to just

buy everything outright.

<p>

Downside? It's all used equipment - some of it's <i>really</i> used. We had a tripod

with a gimpy leg once, and a lens that sounded like it was grinding sand when it focused.

But 99% of the time we have a really good experience.

We used to rent lenses for weddings from www.rentglass.com. We now started our own business in renting canon lenses called lensrenter.com. I also know of lensprotogo.com and rentcameragear.com. There seems to be a large number of places that are beginning to rent gear in addition to the large companies such as Adorama.

There seems to be a very large number of people who rent lenses for special events that cannot justify spending a $1000+ on a lens they will only use a few times.

I am actually waiting for my lens to arrive. It will be my very first rental and this company is awsome. The owner emailed me last 2 nights ago and told me the lens I rented came in early and he is sending it to me (4 days early) and not charging extra. He said there was no sense in it sitting on his shelf when I could be out using it. Super nice guy.....would recommend him to anyone............Lensrentals.com

Wow, good thread.

I rent for personal use from a local Sammy's Camera. I wouldn't buy from them since they're too expensive. I basically rent before I buy a lens. Just to test drive. I might start to rent for the fun of it since I can't justify spending that kind of doe/dow/money right now.

Thanks Amanda! I've been looking for a good online rental place that actually has the lenses I

want in stock. I checked out lensrental.com and they look GREAT. I booked two lenses

already and talked to Roger, the guy that runs it ... he's super nice. I'm so excited I don't have

to drive all the way to Austin to rent lenses anymore (I'm in San Antonio and NOBODY here

has rentals)

Yay for this thread! :)

• 1 year later...