RAW overwrite in camer settings?

antonio_carusone

Overwritten is not the correct term here ... Settings like white-balance, saturation, sharpening, color-space and so on do not make sense before a certain step in processing is reached. Raw-data is captured directly from the sensor. All settings are therefore "not yet applied" to this data. Nevertheless, these settings are usually recorded and stored along with the raw-data. Some programs processing the raw-data take these settings as a default starting point for postprocessing, others completely ignore those settings.

Rainer

Thanks Mark. My camera is the D200. In your opinion what in-camera parameters would give the best images:

1. on a shunny day 2. on a shady day 3. etc.

I have heard a few different opinions on this especially on the WB. One always set it for Shady setting when outdoors.

How you set your WB is dependent on how important the results are. I never use auto WB because it will give inconsistent results under the same lighting, e.g., take twelve pictures in sunlight and you may get twelve WBs. This is not good for consistent color rendition. [it's no big deal if you shoot raw and plan to batch correct it later. If you shoot JPGEs, your colors will vary from image to image and will be harder to correct.]

Auto WB, AFAIK, does not work well below 4000K or so on some Nikon models, so this could be a bad crutch. I know first-hand this was an issue on the D100 and have heard it also is on the D200 (my D200 has never been set to auto WB, so I don't know).

There are situations where I know which presets work -- such as incandescent for most stage work and incandescent +3 for much indoor lighting. For most outdoor work, I like the 'Direct Sunlight' setting. There are several reasons why, including that I don't care for the colors produced cloudy or shade settings, it seems to capture the mood best, and I shot E-6 for thirty years and like the 5500K look most of the time. Sunset light looks best orange IMO, whether shooting a sunset or subjects lit by sunset light. How best to preserve that quality easily? 'Direct Sunlight' WB.

If accuracy and control are important, shoot custom WB or raw. You can preset WB or correct it afterwards. There are varying tools and methods to do this.