Warranty voided using other batteries?

jacull

I read a post from another set of forums about a Sony videocam detecting a non-sony battery and refusing to function. Conceivably, if there was some difference in the battery you could detect, you could use this approach.

Normally I wouldn't have sweated it, but in this era of exploading lithium ion batteries in laptops, I'm reluctant to be adventurous.

The European warranty (EWS) from Canon I received with 1Ds2, said...

"Warranty repair service is excluded if damage or defects have been caused by: - Use of spare parts, software or consumables (such as ink, paper, toner or batteries) which are not compatible with the product.

There are other notes on other included docs which re-iterate the same point.

Sounds like people are spreading FUD.

I use (6 or so) non-canon NP-E3 batteries (costing 20usd) and have never had a problem. What can go wrong? It's not like they contain Li-ion cells. I canibalised one (which was DOA) so the camera can run from a brick of AA cells in my pocket.

I have carried my 20D in an old Mamiya Camera Bag.

The 20D is out of warranty in 3 days time, if by any chance something goes wrong I will not mention on the claim form that I used a third party camera case for the whole year. I suspect my camera bag has as much effect on my 20D`s performance as your batteries have on your camera.

Regards Anon. (name and address withheld just in case Canon are monitoring this thread)

I shouldn't think so. If you use some crappy battery that actually puts out 12v instead of 6v and explodes during use, there's no reason why Canon should pay for your stupidity. Similarly if you use some ink that cost $2/gallon and it totally gums up your printer, it's not Canon's fault either.

That being said I've been using 3rd party batteries in Canon SLRs, DSLRs and Video cameras for years without any problem at all.

Bob, like you I use 3rd party batteries in my N*k*n DSLR, which is waaay out of warranty.<p>No question that a crappy 3rd party battery that puts out too much voltage or explodes is not Canon's problem, but what about batteries that <i>are</i> compatible with the camera and work properly? Surely Canon can't just say that your warranty is kaput for using one, don't they at least have to show that the 3rd party battery is responsible for the problem?

Canon wants you to buy their more expensive batteries. That is clear. Some third party batteries are very bad and actually dangerous. Some can be very good. Some are okay for a while but do not last as long as the originals. The problem is that it is often hard to say which type of battery you get when you buy a cheaper alternative. Your choice.

The Magnuson-Moss act does not allow sellers of consumer goods to void a warranty simply for using compatible third-party parts, if they are unrelated to the problem. That said, if the damage is indeed due to the batteries, they are off the hook.