Scanning cross-processed films... Help!

I have a lovely batch of cross-processed E-6 that I want to digitized using my

Epson 4990. I have tried both Epson software and Vuescan, scanning the films as

positive and negative, yet the color of the scans I've got are so far away from

the prints that I find almost impoosible to get back the color I want in

Photoshop Element, e.g. a black tux turns blue and stays that way no matter how

I manipulate. Is there a general way to get good scans from cross-processed E-6

to minimize the effort required for Photoshop? I appreciate your help. Thanks

Have you tried going into the EpsonScan configuration panel and choosing no color correction or using the 48 bit HDR mode in your Silverfast SE or Ai? These should give you scans that are somewhat flat but that can be manipulated in PS fairly easily to the point they should appear like the films. When you rely on the scanning software's auto settings, it will often try to "correct" the cross processing.

<p>

Just a thought.

<p> Doug<p>

<a href="http://www.betterscanning.com">BetterScanning.com</a>

Wing, I had the same problem once. The answer is, no you can't successfully scan crossed processed film. I've tried everything, messing with white balance, settings, you name it, nothing worked. I think the problem has to do with the software expecting to find an orange tone in regularly processed film and that's why the colors are all out of wack.

I use to cross process all my film and have the lab just make me prints and then scan the prints. You can do this or you can just have the film processed normal and then do a fake cross in Photoshop.

Take the film back to your lab and have prints made man, that's the best way.

With the epson software in pro mode, set the software to "B&W Negative" and 24 or 48 bit color.

What you end up with is that it will invert the image for you, but it will not try and compensate for the orange mask.

From there, go into the levels window and adjust the white and black points to get the tonality you want.