Win XP no preview available

joe_zammarelli

I run Win XP Home Edition with SP2. Recently I did some reorganizing and moved

images to and from CDs. When I was done, half of the images on both the CDs

and the PC were not viewable. Yes, they are there. At least all the specs look

okay, but when I click on 'em I get 'No Preview Available.' My wife had the

same problem with her chip-on-a-key-ring. All the non-graphic files were fine,

but all of the pix were hosed. The only thing I can think of is that I

switched between thumbnail mode and tile mode.

Is this an XP thing? Does switching from thumbnail mode to tile mode muck up

the original image, or make it unavailable, or...? This probably some stupid,

newbie thang I'm messing up, but I'm at a loss.

Thanks y'all.

Hi Joe, Try switching your folder fiew back to Thumbnail mode and see if that displays OK. (Click View>Thumbnails at the top of the window) If it doesn't, try View>Refresh. Hopefully that'll work and if it does, try the same process with the thumbnail view. If it doesn't work, I'm afraid I'm at a loss too. Just for grins you might also see if Microsoft's "Pictures and Fax Viewer" can see your images. Right-click a jpeg and select "Open With" then "Microsoft Pictures and Fax Viewer". At least you'll know *something* in Windows will show 'em to you if that works! ;-) Good luck!

Switching views just gives me larger or smaller icons, no thumbnails. Also pic and fax viewer is the program giving me the original message.

I'm thinking that I was in preview mode and that I saved the pix, but not the thumbs file that went with them and now XP is confused, or worse, hosed the files totally.

Can you open them in another program - say your web browser? That will tell you whether it's a problem with something in Windows when you're trying to look at your files, or a problem with the files themselves.

Another thing that jumps to mind, because you mentioned external USB storage ( I think ) and this has come up several times with me ... right click on the file, hit "properties" from the popup menu, and then hit the security tab. It's possible ( but unlikely ) that your NTFS permissions are gone, and you need to take ownership of the files.

I have 256MB usb pen drive. It works upto 128MB fine. But retrieving more than 128MB data you will get the junk. The file name and the file size will be the same as to the original. I think the pen drive manufacturer has done some nasty tricks to fool us about the drive capacity.

Sorry for my bad English.

Thanks.