very reasonable prices, and I was just wondering what I'm looking at and what

I'm looking for in one of these systems. I'd be interested to hear opinions

on prisms vs. waist level finders, lens options and quality, different film

backs, and the overall quality of the ETRS system. I'd like to go cheap, but

I know from my mechanic years that you usually get only what you pay for in

tools, so I'm wondering if the low low prices on this system are an indication

of low quality as well. Thanks!

GM

I used one for years, the're great cameras and very good value these days. As time went on, the camera's were named ETR, ETRS, ETRSi. I suggest the latter two are the sort of vintage worth going for.

Most people would agree that for 645 cameras, a prism finder and speedgrip are useful, if not essential items. Personally I would go for a plain Prism E and buy a seperate meter.

Lenses are different vintages, there's not much between the very latest PE and older E series lenses. I would prefer the lenses with a common 62mm thread rather than some of the older MC lenses with 58mm. Bronica are one of the brands that put some effort into making most of their lenses have a common filter size.

The backs, as with any MF SLR can be finicky and its worth getting a pair.

You are going to get a lot of varying opinions on Bronica vs other MF brands - my opinion is that Bronica is an excellent MF camera system.

I use a complete Bronica ETRSi system as my personnel camera (I actually have four backs, lenses from 30 to 500mm and a whole lot more); I have as well used a Bronica 67 professionally. I love the Bronica systems and have been pleased with the quality, build, reliability and versatility; I find it ergonomic to use!

The price is simply down because of digital - take advantage of it!

IMHO you should look for an ETRSi body, if you do not want to hand meter try to get an EIII prism finder - they have both average and spot meter along with some other nice options. ETRSi will also give you TTL options with Sunpak and Metz at a reasonable price.

A speed grip winder (either manual or powered)is for me a necessity in hand held photography.

I have and use a Bronica ETRsi all the time, I have found it to be a very depenable camera of a high Build Quality, I have used the camera for over 10 years and found it to be a good work horse, There is a vast range of lenses and Accesories avaliable.

The only thing I have had a problem with is the Early motor drive -would not sinc and would lockup , and I had one of my Backs Fail after 100's of films.

I have also found that the 250mm lense is great for Head Shots, If you use it with the thin spacer. All the lenses have been Sharp and reliable, I have never had a shutter fail or a camera body fail I bought a Second one as a backup and It hardly gets used.

The Bronica ETR Camera is highly underated, I had a friend who Sold his Blad and Bought One after he saw the results from mine, He decided that it would be more cost Efective, for his Wedding

Business.

This is my outfit and Notes about Each Item

ETRS Body - My backup Body

ETRsi Body - Main Camera Body

Waist Finder - Great for landscapes

AE Prism - I still use the Early Model - Works fine

Speed Prism - Great for macro work

EII Motor Drive - Uses 6 AA Batts Works fime Auto loads film

Grip Winder - Lighter than a motor drive no batts req

6 X Backs - The Double latch ones are the best

Polariod back - Works fine

3 Focusing Screens - the grid screen is great for landscapes

40mm MC Great lens Very sharp

75mm MC Very Sharp - 58mm filter can be a pain -other lenses 62mm

150mm PE Ultra Sharp Portrait lens

250mm MC you need a thin Spacer to close focus but wort it.

Macro Spacers - cost alot for what they are, my only complaint

The Bronica is not a low quality camera. Quite the contrary, it is a fine piece of gear.

<p>

<b>Price</b>

<p>

The price is purely a function of supply and demand: very little demand and a huge supply. The Bronica, also known as "the poor man's Hasselblad," is a superb piece of photographic engineering. For decades I was a 35mm die-hard, especially after getting a Nikon F5 in 2000.

<p>

As the prices of MF fell, though, I succumbed to the lure of a larger piece of film. You see, in the late 1980's I had photographed dozens of examples of religious architecture using a 4x5 monorail view camera, so I knew more film equals less grain and crisper photos. I have been amazed at the value I get for my dollar spent on MF photography. I find I take fewer photographs, but have more good photographs because I spend more time ensuring the composition is what I want, the lighting is right, and the focus and DOF work to tell the story I want the photo to convey. With my 35mm there was too much "...click, click, click..." expecting one of three to be good.

<p>

<b>Great hand-held</b>

<p>

I find my ETRSi, when used with lenses from 40mm to 150mm, can be hand-held using the Speed Winder Grip and is about as heavy as my F5. There are myriad lenses available, although what you need depends on your purpose. I typically do landscape (40mm, 50mm, and 250mm), architecture (40mm, 75mm, and 150mm), and portrait (150mm) photography.

<p>

I also have a Metz flash and the SCA cord, a Polaroid back (which requires flipping the multiple exposure lever down in order to cock the shutter), and a variety of other options.

<p>

<b>...but don't forget the tripod!</b>

<p>

If you do landscape, architecture, or portraits you will probably want to use a good tripod and head, too, because at slower film speeds you'll be using some low shutter speeds, too.

<p>

<b>W/L Finder & Prism</b>

<p>

I almost always use the prism finder. Were I taking portraits of young children or pets, I may consider leaving the waist-level finder attached to one of my two ETRSis.

<p>

<b>Metering Prism</b>

<p>

Spoiled as I am by the metering of the F5, I find the metering of the AEIII prism viewfinder to be quite accurate. For critical work I also use a Gossen Variosix F2 (which I bought in Singapore and has a different name here in the USA as I recall).

<P>

<b>Backs</b>

<p>Definitely get more than one back and, if you plan on doing lots of photography in a single session (portraits, for example), you should consider the 220 back. The backs give you 15 (120 film) and 30 (220 film) exposures. I would suggest a Polaroid back, too, for checking exposure and composition.

<p>

<b>Summary</b>

<p>

The convenience offered by digital, as well as the changing nature of the consumer, has pushed most portrait, wedding, and many product photographers to digital. As these professionals have sold their used MF the prices have dropped precipitously. Imagine, five years ago a brand new ETRSi body had an MSRP of over $1,400. Today, you can probably buy ETRSi bodies EX+ for $150or less. The glass is good, there still seems to be a supply of spare parts, and there are lots of advocates.

<p>

<b>Enjoy!</b>