Flash photography with the Rebel

alan_markowitz1

Is it just me, or do other people have problems with proper metering when

using an external flash with the Rebel (XTi in my case).

I have the XTi and I use the 550ex with it. I use it on "P" mode (letting the

camera choose shutter speed/aperture/flash compensation), and the camera keeps

shooting underexposed images (in some cases, I can't even correct the problem

with Photoshop).

I hear that Nikon takes much better photos with TTL flashes.

Can anyone help or give suggestions? Thank you.

"I have the XTi and I use the 550ex with it. I use it on "P" mode (letting the camera choose

shutter speed/aperture/flash compensation), and the camera keeps shooting

underexposed images"

Did you try to fix it by adding flash exposure compensation (FEC)? FEC is a no-brainer if

your flash pics are consistently underexposed. Set it to the norm and forget it. I'll go out

on a limb and guess you'll need +2/3 FEC. Why? Canon designers prefer a low-key

understated flash look. Most Yanks prefer the full-on DIHL look. I set my EOS 20D to +2/3

FEC 6 months ago and only defeat it for fill flash during sunny days. Flash pics are about

as perfect as it gets.

The EOS 10D, 20D, 30D and 5D allow you to defeat auto fill flash reduction via CF 14.1

(also sets flash averaging). I don't know if the XTi has this CF but it another way around

the problem if you prefer extra "pop" in your fill flash.

Oddly, my 5D rarely requires any FEC.

"I hear that Nikon takes much better photos with TTL flashes."

I've heard that also. However I've owned a dozen or so Nikons and it just isn't so. You still

have to think and override the flash in certain situations. What irritated me about Nikon is

most of the ones I owned overexposed ambient 1/2 to 1 stop--requiring EC be

permanently set--so life ain't more rosey on the other side.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

"...no matter what the camera and flash using the P mode is no better than using a point and shoot camera..."

Net entirely correct. It depends on many factors. Seacrh for "EOS flash photography", there's a good manuals avaialable in EOS archives.

Generally, AV is useful for fill flash outdoors. Manual is useful for both indoors and outdoors. In both cases you have to use the Flash Expusure Compensation (FEC). On my 20D I have it permanently on +2/3. Start with +1 and see how it feels.

<p>FEC definitely works in P mode.</p>

<p>And underexposed flash images with E-TTL II metering are very common and have been discussed numerous times before. E-TTL II seems to be biased towards not blowing out highlights, even though that may result in underexposure. Use the histogram to judge exposure and apply FEC as necessary, just as you'd use the histogram to judge exposure and apply exposure correction as necessary when shooting with ambient light.</p>