50mm preferences

andy middleton

This subject has been discussed many times on this forum.

I just want to share my opinion after using the lux old version, elmar new version and cron new version.

I shoot mainly portraits and some wedding (black and white) and after going through all three I keep

coming back to my recently bought Elmar.

It just seems to have that balance of great sharpness, contrast and usabilty that makes it my first choice.I

am not someone who looks at test charts, what counts for me is usability and a certain look.Out of the

three the first I would give up on, if I had to, would be the latest version cron.I know this lens is held in a

very high opinion by many but it just didn't do it for me, too contrasty and I don't know how to explain it,

but just too clinical.

I love the Lux and use it often outdoors as my standard lens, just something about it makes me love it,

this lens has character.

I believe the both the Elmar is underrated by many as is the Lux .

Would love to hear other opinions on without starting a debate on test charts etc.

Which do you use and for which shooting situations.?

cheers

andy<div>00IvwN-33699784.jpg.f92b3063d84ba57feac5ec1d09579d79.jpg</div>

<I>"...what counts for me is usability..."</I><P>

Me too, so I settled on the penultimate Summicron because the Leica M just sings for me when I have my finger on a proper focusing tab. I have and use both the tabbed 'cron and an untabbed (1969) version, and in the past have owned and used every version of the Summicron, but operationally for me, the tab makes the lens work.<P>

Optically, I am not good enough to make the lens be the weakest link in the chain. Either of the black Summicron optical formulas work for me, but the tab wins for usability (as per your comment in your post).<div>00Iw0V-33701784.JPG.eb8305c1b2d3f3af64e296a2eb91c740.JPG</div>

Andy: I too have each of these three lenses, and none of them are the first examples of

that lens that I've owned. That is, I've sold them to buy one of the others - then come back

to them.

I think the Elmar is the most underrated, perhaps because of its unglamorous maximum

aperture. It's said that extended with the hood, it's the same size as the Summicron, so

why bother? I think the answer is that you can't collapse the Summicron, you can often

manage without the hood, and it's very close to the 'cron in performance.

The Summilux pre-asph is charming, and I have resisted the temptation to replace it with

the ASPH version because some results I have seen have that clinical look that you see in

the latest Summicron. Sharpest isn't necessarily best.

Andy, I think your analysis is right on the mark. I once had a 50 'cron and 50 Elmar (latest

version) at the same time. The two have enough important differences and one has the better

qualities that I kept one and sold the other. I still have and love using the Elmar.

Nevertheless, as Andrew Nemeth says on his website: "...the Summicron's extra stop isn't

significant for outdoors work [vs. the Elmar]. Indoors however, even the 'Cron's ?2.0 isn't

enough!" I feel the same way. My next lens will likely be the 50 'lux (or new zeiss sonnar 50)

for the extra two stops and the pleasant rendering of OOF areas.

Ron

The new 50 2.8 is very underrated. I love mine for travel or outdoor work. The focus throw is very fast, ie little rotation gets you from infinity to close really fast, almost too fast. Like fast stearing ratios on sports cars.

For people I`ll grab my Summitar, Summarit, DR, rigid, or original version 50 2.8 or 50 3.5. I dislike a lens that shows every skin blemish.

Ronald: I am interested to see your work. You are certainly a very prolific poster, you seem to know a lot about equipment and processes but where's the work? I am sure I am not the only one wanting to see your work somewhere. It would certainly give you more credibility (depending on the quality of the work). Website? Gallery? Thanks.

Andy, I studied a lot before deciding which 50 to get. I didn't want to end up buying all three. I wanted a 50 for general photography (meaning everything) in a very compact package for low light, normal portraits, close-ups, street scapes, and as a one lens solution (for when I wasn't using one of my other one lens solutions-Ha!) I ended up with a current cron because the cron is the best f2 value for the money, and I regularly use f2. The built-in hood keeps it very small when the camera is slipped away under your coat or in a very small bag. When the hood is pulled out for a portrait, I think it handles like a tiny 90.

Unfortunately, its not as small as the Elmar. It doesn't have that luscious look of the old lux. It can be a bit clinical in bright daylight, but for certain types of architecture it works well. In low light, especially with Kodachrome, you can still achieve "soft sharpness." Even today, my conclusion with respect to image look and versatility is that the current cron is the solution for people who would otherwise prefer the aspherical lux, but didn't want to pay for the extra stop. The Elmar and the old lux offer their own very specific benefits that mainly very experienced photographers, who know exactly what they want, would decide are worth the sacrifices. (I would love to have them all!)

I'm a fan of 50's; I have five of them: a TM coated Elmar 5cm/3.5 BD, a TM Summarit 5cm/1.5, a current version Summicrom (50/2 for those not familiar with the nomenclature), a Nokton 50/1.5 and a Color Skopar 50/2.5. Each has its own, very evident, "signature" and I'd be hard pressed to pick one among the rest.

However, for sharpness, there's a virtual tie among the Summicron and the Nokton, with the latter being a bit harsher, although I reach for it when I need the extra stop. Build and finish of the Nokton is extremely good and approaches the 'cron in smoothness of operation.

The Color-Skopar is a bit less sharp than the previous pair, but it's my preferred street lens for its compact size and short focus throw and tab. Its sokeh is unbeatable. Build and finish is flawless, with smooth focusing action, positively clicked aperture ring and beautifully chromed brass barrel that perfectly matches my M2.

The older lenses, Elmar and Summarit, are seldom used. The Summarit is very soft at apertures larger than 5.6 and it's also very prone to flare. Nevertheless, it imparts a vintage air to pictures and is excelent for some type of portraits, specially female portraiture. The Elmar, OTOH, is perfect for thos occasions when you need the most compact package possible and allows any M or Barnack body fitted with it to go into my pants or jacket pocket, even tho the combo hardly qualifies as pocketable, mainly because of weight.

I've used all three lenses. I have bought and sold two current Summicrons and didn't like either; didn't care for the color rendition and both were painfully sharp. I replaced the second one with the current Elmar-M and I use that when I want edge-to-edge sharpness; it is great for architecture. I just got my pre-ASPH Summilux CLA'd by DAG and now it is perfect and is particularly suited to portrait work. It is a beautiful lens and my favorite. I just bought a rigid Summicron (3rd time lucky?) and I'm looking forward to using it.

Frankly I find all appealing in different ways. I am very fond of my current 'cron finding it produces sweet images (less "brutal than my current 35mm 'cron ASPH). But I'm not so fond of early 'lux, I have a Canon f1.2 and enjoy that more. Like some say the Elmars are often underrated. The current version I borrowed and found it capable of excellent images and I even found older f3.5 version capable of really nice images. Maybe the fact is that it is hard to go wrong with any Leica 50mm - just different horses......"

Nice sample images everyone! It would be interesting to know the film you used too.

I like the 50Cron latest version because of its compact size. As far as color rendering is concerned I switch this out by using different types of film. I also like it as a pocketable backup lens to my 35mm LuxAsph.

Having said that, I'm glad I took my 50Lux pre-asph to the rainforest (Costa Rica)the past few weeks due to requiring the extra stop.

Thanks Simon,

Love your 'One Bird' shot.....a few of the other shots in yopur portfolio brought back a few

memories.I used to be down under regularly on business so I recognised a few of the

places there.One time I will never forget in Sydney was when I happended to be there on

business over a special public holiday, can't remember the name, but there were huge

crowds on the streets and we ended up flipping coins in the streets, betting lots of Aussie

Dollars, losing most of it, and getting outrageously drunk!

Aaah the good old days..

Andy