AIS Lens Choice for D200

dan_brown4

I've got a good assortment of AF lenses to shoot with, but I'm hankering to add a high grade AIS lens to

the kit since I'm shooting with a D200 now.

Question: , What AIS lenses are perfroming well on digital, and are there any "must have" lenses.

Perhaps a lens that is too affordable to pass up on? Maybe a 35/1.4; 105/2.0; 300/2.8?

Think about what you are going to use those lenses for. The 105mm was great for portrait on film, but on the long side on a DSLR for that same purpose. Personally, I wouldn't use a 300mm without AF-S since that is an action lens for me. There are reasons that some lenses are now "affordable": most people don't like them any more. So will you like them?

Good point, to not duplicate existing lenses you have in AF. If you do want to add an AIS lens,

get a lens that will add value to using an MF lens over an AF on the D200, such as macro or

PC.

I had the same inclination when I got my D200. Looking forward to the use of older lenses.

But it subsided when the AF performance of the D200 was beyond my expectations, and I

soon forgot all about NAS.

Thanks, good stuff guys. My primes go to 24mm on the wide end, with a gap between 85

annd 180.

I was looking over the keh inventory, and a few lenses that looked interesting were:

200/4 AIS - Nice little tele with 300mm eq.

135/2.8 Series E - Compact and cheap.

105/2.8 or 4.0 Micro AIS - Don't have a macro at this time.

105/2.5 AIS - Really affordable, really good (I hear).

100/2.8 Series E - Tiny telephoto, really cheap.

55/2.8 or 3.5 Micro.

50/1.2 AIS - Fast glass (at a price!)

35/2.8 PC Nikkor - Could be fun.

20/3.5 AIS - Wider than I have.

18/3.5 AIS - Even wider, but not cheap.

Ones I use most on my D200 (not in any particular order):

- 20mm/3.5 AIS with K1 ring

- 24mm/2.8 AIS - I've grown to really like this focal length. I also have a 24/2.8 AFD lens.

- 55mm/2.8 AIS - with or without the PK-13

- 105mm/2.5 AIS

- 50-135mm/3.5 AIS - if you can find one at a reasonable price, BUY IT!

I have others, but find that I use the above more than the others. For macro, the 105/4 is fine (especially with the PN-11), but I really, really lke the Kiron 105/2.8 in that focal length for macros.

The 200/4 AIS is also a fine lens, but I don't use it as much as the others.

Good luck!

KL

The 50mm F1.2 does cost a bit at KEH(and in the US). I got a brand new on in Tokyo for around $375. Whether it's worth it or not I'll leave that up to you. The glass itself is superb and among my favorite to use.

I find the 28mm F2.8 AIS another great walk around manual lens that is tack sharp and great for wide-angle perspective close-ups(0.2m close-focusing).

In the "too affordable to pass up" league, I find even the lowly 50mm <i>f</i>/1.8 series E is a joy to use on the D200. With the crop factor, it gives a medium portrait field of view. Likewise the 50mm <i>f</i>/1.4 AIS.

<p>

All the other reasonably fast primes are nice in their own way, too.

I've got the Katz-eye screen in my D200 (highly recommended if you're concentrating on AIS lenses), and any fast prime makes the screen brighten so much compared to the kit lens I have (18-70 DX). Though the D200's AF is very fast, I find it still focuses too often on the wrong thing. Rather than fight the system by selecting focus points and such, I find that focusing manually is often more convenient and more precisely controllable than autofocus.

I know that AIS lenses are great, they have an amazing build quality and they will virtually last

forever. But why waste money buying old lenses that aren't optimized for digital? Over the

past 30yrs a lot has changed in glass coatings and overall image quality from lenses. If you

ask me an $80 plastic zoom lens is better than a $350 in terms of image quality, but if you

are going to be beating up your camera then by all means buy the AIS lens.

Dan:

I'm going to suggest a 135 f/2 giving you a 200 f/2 fast long lens.

I have the 180 2.8 & it's also great.

The only AF lenses I have are a 20 f/2.8 & a 105 f/2 DC - the rest are all AI/AIS lenses.

The one lens I sold that I wish I kept was the 50 f/1.2 AIS now that I have a D200.

Lastly - I had a couple of 300 f/2.8 AIS's over the years as well as a 400 f/2.8 AIS & also had a 300 f/2.8 AF-I - did not have any of them by the time I bought the D200 but would guess that they are great as well on the D200.

The 35 2.8 PC lens is a great lens & a lot of fun.

Good Luck & let us know what you get

I use a 105/2.5 and a 28/2. Both are excellent on the D200. To my eyes, the older lenses have a smoother contrast to them...which is to say they have less contrast than the newer lenses.

<p>

The 28/2 is really outstanding. I also use the 45/2.8, another excellent choice. Do get the Katzeye screen, however. It really does make a difference.

I was thrilled when I learned the D200 could be teamed up with some of my old MF

Nikkors. But much of my excitement was short-lived, because my wide-aperture lenses

are so finicky about nailing the focus. Perhaps my older eyes and slower reflexes are to

blame, but I suspect that part of the issue is the monotonous focusing screen in the newer

cameras; I had really come to depend upon the split-image and microprism parts of the

screen (on MF Nikons) to get the focus right. This is a bigger issue for the longer focal-

length lenses, like the 105mm f2.5, that I find impossible to use effectively with a D70 or

D200 when the subject isn't still. The 35mm f1.4 is a GREAT lens, and I am able to focus

it well enough to get sharp images.

Good luck and happy shopping!

For all those AF Freaks: There is NO AF 35/1.4 NO AF 28/2 NO AF 20/3.5 (nearly no flares when shooting with the sun in front of you) and so on!

The optical quality can be superior (MF 85/1.4 has much less purple fringing than AF 85/14, 28/2 and 35/1.4 are simply outstanding) and for macro works a MF is much better than most AFs (AF 200/4 is great, too)

regards, stevie

Dan,

If you're still looking to purchase Nikkor ais lenses, I have 4 for sale which I posted to the PN classifieds yesterday. They are: 24mm f/2.8, 28 mm f/2.8, 25-50 mm f/4 and a 80-200 mm f/4. No, I'm not clearing all of my MF glass out, they are wonderful lenses. I'm keeping my 35mm f/1.4, 50-135mm f/3.5, 50-300 mm f/4 and 400mm f/3.5.

Regards.