Is/vr or kenyon gryo system

eric_deagle

Hello I was wondering if anyone here has shot with a gyro stabilized system,

Kenyon for example! If so how well does this work compared to an IS or VR lens.

let's use the Nikon 70-200 VR for example, would this lens with it's active

mode VR eliminate the need for using a gyro system. any thoughts comments or

suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

I've used the Kenyon system, and the result is pretty incredible. The whole camera and lens are stabilized, and you can get sharp pictures at 1/30 with a 135mm lens while driving on cobblestone. However, the whole system is expensive, and most notably heavy and unpractical. You have to lug around the gyro, plus the battery, plus the inverter.

I'd say it's a good tool if you are using it professionaly, or on a very specific occasion (you can rent it pretty easily), but for everyday use, I'd rather have a stabilized lens or a DSLR with a stabilised sensor.

My 2 cents.

Hi Eric, I have not used the Kenyon but I do believe there are places that rent it out - because it's very expensive. I can tell you without a doubt that Canon's IS lenses can sometimes perform near "miracles" without tripods. I'm sure the same is true for Nikon's VR products. I hate carrying a tripod (but sometimes do anyway) so I'm very much in love with IS. But if you're a Medium Format kind of guy, I think Kenyon is the only way to go. If I'm not mistaken (and I may be!) Kenyon uses a gyro stabilizing system. Good luck!