to try my hand at rangefinders. There are no camera stores where I live that

carry rangefinders, so I don't have the advantage of looking at them and

getting a feel for a certain model. I've looked at the Voigtlander Bessa R

and T models, but the reviews go from hot to cold. At my level I don't need

the creme de la creme of rangefinders (ie Leica), but a decent dependable

manual camera, that isn't too expensive. I'm overwhelmed by all the

information and my lack of knowledge on this type of camera. Are there other

brands that I'm overlooking? At this point just looking at using the camera

for documentary photography and candid street scenes.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance.

Pat

Either buy an excellent, used or new, Leica, or one of the other used RF's from Japan. The Bessa-R, which I own, has been perfect, but I read the mixed reviews too. I am just very careful with it. No flash gun in the shoe. I don't overwind the film to the last frame. And don't rachet wind when the shutter hasn't finished firing.

Patricia, the above reply is right on, either a Bessa or an old screw mount Leica. If you ever get your hands on a nice Leica IIIa you'll never let go. Even a Leica IIf is very nice if you don't need slow speeds.

I think for the price of a new Bessa you could get a Leica, that opens the door to some wonderful old lenses. The one drawback is the viewfinder is kind of small.

Zorki 6 (former USSR) for interchangeable lenses is a good choice on the cheap. There are lots of nice fixed lens rangefinders from Canon that can be had for not much $ on fleabay. Canon also made interchangeable lens RFs that are considerably more expensive. Read about some here:http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/f_camera.html

How large do you want to print? If 8x10 or smaller, then a 35mm rangefinder is great. Much larger and I'd look for a medium format camera.

There are a lot of nice, and inexpensive, Japanese 35mm compact cameras form the 1970's. Canon, Olympus, Konica, Yashica - hard to miss. But most will need to be serviced prior to use. Lots of good info here:

http://cameraquest.com/classics.htm

"...would like to try my hand at rangefinders."

RF cameras are an acquired taste. Before spending thousands of dollars, try out something that's less than $100. Many 70's vintage _fixed_ lens ranger finders offer both high quality build and excellent optics. Go search KEH.com for the likes of Canonet QL17 or Olympus SP. I have an Olympus 35RC myself that's almost always by my side; got it off EBay for $20.

Now, after you get hooked, don't automatically go jumping at a Leica. Check out medium format rangefinders. Square inch by square inch, these offer tremendous image quality in a very portable formfactor (I'm drooling after the 6x7 Mamiya 7 even now.)

Pat I sold my coveted pentax LX W/ motordrive to a teen in china and used the money for a Bessa R2 w/ 35mm 1.7.I got it just in time for my trip to colorado and i tell you its the most user friendly camera in my collection,I just couldn't put it down to shoot my FM2n I had tagged alone just in case.Go on cameraquest and read up.

There are bargains in the FSU department. Zorki has been mentioned. The Zorki 4 is a good one. It had the ugly stick waved over it but it works (Zorki 3 is better but has some rarity value so is much more expensive). Kiev 4 is another nice one. The Zorkis take LTM lenses, the Kiev uses the Contax mount.

The R2 is really the best answer if money is a big concern. Older used Leicas's, Canon's etc, will need fixing or adjusting, if you start using them regularly. The R2 can still be had new at a few dealers, and is available everywhere used. It has a meter built in, and is a pretty rugged camera IMHO.

The R2 uses the Leica M mount, and with adapters allows Leica thread mount lenses to be used. This means that almost every RF lens made since the 1930's will fit your camera.

For a lens, try the used Canon lenses from the 50 &60's. These often rival their German counterparts in sharpness, at a fraction of the price.

Since you just want to give rangefinders a try and you're interested in documentary and street photography, you might consider an Olympus XA. It's tiny, so it's discreet, and it has a very sharp 35/2.8 lens. I find the rangefinder to be a bit on the dim side and, being an aperture priority automatic, it's a bit limited when it comes to bracketing. Still, the cameras are relatively cheap, silent and produce good results.