what are brides looking for

cris_riol

I would suggest picking up a few of the bridal magazines and check those out. Be careful, most weigh over 20 pounds, so maybe pick up one at a time. Brides see some of the advertising photographs and want their albums to look as good. Managing expectations may be a better goal than trying to discover what Brides want.

this topic comes up from time to time. it's a good thing, because what the bride (and close relations) want is the 'end' to which the countless discussions of what lenses to buy are supposed to be the 'means'.

i recall one similar discussion in which i was surprised by a post or two from photographers who had gotten feedback from the bride along the lines of: the photographs are too romantic -- which is not an accurate reflection of the basis for our getting married.

so, go figure.

What brides say they want is shaped by bridal magazines, friends' experiences, internet discussions, what they see in other photographers' portofolios, and more generally, what they see on TV and in films. Very, very generally, the PJ trend has been going on for a while, but there are still brides who want a traditional coverage. What brides get is usually something in between traditional and totally PJ.

You are putting style trends together with trends in package offerings, and they are not similar things. Brides always want the most for cheaper, as people do with everything. That is not a trend.

A faithful, honest, pure hearted, clean shaven, good looking mate who is willing to commit to forever and will age with dignity while always being being humble about his appearance. And a few other things, hehe.

On their wedding day, they want such an individual to show up and marry them + lots of quality pics that strike a chord in their view of emotionally pleasing shots. Good price for the above and perfect attitude from the one getting those shots for them.

hmmm. Perhaps I overdid this one ;-)

Best, D.

Ok, honestly? I think you need to focus less on "what brides want" and more on what YOU

want.

"Let your work determine your clients."

If you LOVE and EXCEL at portraiture/fashion/journalism/Photoshop then pursue it with all

you have in you.

We have built our business around the idea of doing what we LOVE. It's not for everyone.

But our passion spills over and our clients see it. We've never had an unhappy client.

Totally depends on the market you are seeking. Some are looking for art, some for value, some for just good pictures, some for cheap price, they all have priorities. Probably the only common thread between them all is they want good pictures. It starts with that. If you have good shots they want to know more.

The only exception is when the first question they ask is "how much do you charge?" My answer is "don't you want to see some pictures first?"

When you go out to look for a new car, do you phone a dealer and ask "how much is a new car?" Wouldn't you want to find out what kind of car you want first?

Asking what brides are looking for has hundreds of possible answers.

But, if you can find out....you will be successful as long as you can deliver it!

Lou

Even if they don't express it, brides (and grooms) are looking for EVERYTHING because you're one of possibly many photographers they're interviewing. So, while they might tell you two or three particular things are most important to them, and they leave your studio impressed with what you have to offer, their heads might be turned in an entirely different direction by two or three entirely different things they hadn't even considered that photographer number two shows them.

Of course you can't address every nuance that exists in wedding photography, but I remember one time a woman didn't hire me because I had no sample books to show her of outdoor weddings.

I have wall portraits that show some unusual images; I might show them a flush-mount album of an outdoor wedding (seven months too late), while the proof book is mixed with colour, black-and-white, and sepia prints. A parent album I show might be heavy on the formal poses.

Remember, too, when you meet with a bride, you often meet with her fiance and hers/his parents.

Yes, brides-to-be want the photojournalistic approach to wedding photography, but they - or someone involved in the process - will probably also want neatly posed and composed portraits. Someone will also want something fun or sassy, while others will want something edgy/artsy.

I've read on forums like this - maybe even this very one - that there's a menu offering two of three ways customers can be served: fast, cheap, good, but they can't have it fast, cheap AND good. So, yeah, everyone probably wants to spend $900, get a stack of albums, and have you with them for 12 hours on their wedding day, but you've got to show them why that's really NOT in their best interests.