Canon FTB lens

james52

I am replacing my worn out FTB camera body with one I plan on buying from KEH

Cameras. Am I correct in thinking that my lenses that fit the FTB are FD and

will fit any FD camera body? The seem to be a lot of used AE1's avalible which

also take FD lenses. Or would it be better to find an FTB and stick with that?

All FD lenses are completely 100% compatible with all FD mount bodies, from the 1971 F-1 all the way through the 1990 T60. I use a 50mm 1.4 lens from 1973 all the time on my T90(1987), and at the moment have a 135mm f2 from 1986 mounted on my 1973 FTb.

FL lenses will also work in stopdown mode on all FD bodies with the possible exception of the T50.

Does anyone mind if I ask a related question? What would be a good second body to keep a working FTb company?

My recently CLA'd FTb has yet to wear out, but if I add another lens or two to my existing FD kit, then a second body might make sense.

The rational side of me says go with another FTb, in order to have parts to cannibalize as the need arises. But the emotional side of me says take the opportunity to shoot with something I never would have had a chance to touch years ago.

The FTb was gifted to me in the early 1980s as I went off to intern as a correspondent at a not-very-notable newspaper. In those pre-internet days, I never thought once about what other camera I could be using, since a gifted camera trumped anything else--at least from the viewpoint of a poor intern.

I'm trying to read up now on the various FD bodies, something I never did when FD was the current standard. But personal opinions give much needed color to the available technical descriptions. Thanks!

JT

"Your FD lenses will work on any of the F series, A series or T series cameras, including the AE1. You will not be able to use all of the auto functions of the camera, however."

Say wuh? Where did you learn this?

For your information, all FD lenses have the same automatic functions. They all allow full aperture metering, and they all allow automatic exposure control, either aperture prefered, shutter speed prefered, or programmed, depending on the body used. There are no FD lenses with more or less functions than other FD lenses.

There were a few lenses sold at the same time as FD lenses that don't have FD functions, like the TS 35mm or the two macrophoto lenses, but they of course, are not FD lenses, only contemporary to them.

Jay,

Well, I am unsure how one could get by with only a second camera body. There must be a dozen FD canon bodies in my wife and I's camera case. I feel it is fardly enough.

We do own two FTB bodies, one black (now retired but on a shelf for display) and one very new like chrome FTB. This one gets pulled out and used when out taking shots with the local photo club. They are all digital now (which by the way, I have nothing against other than cost.) This camera with a FD 50 f/1.4 shoots sharp images and the shutter has that wonderful FTB sound that is music to your ears.

I think you should add one each of all three F-1's, both AE-1's and A-1 (of course), an AT-1, an AL-1 and AV-1. This should get you started. Then you need to add every clean working FD prime lens you can find.

Dave