Which part of Africa is best?

thurisaz

Me and my brother are planning a safari trip to Africa around August to November

(preferably November as I've heard it to be best time for photography).

We want an operator and area in Africa giving us the best possible shots of

mainly as wide a range of mammals as possible, but birds would be much

appreciated too. The big five (with black &/or white rhino) is almost a must.

The help I need from the rest of you is to guide me to where in Africa to go.

Our budget is absolutely maxed out at 3500-4000 US$ per person, not including

trip TO Africa.

- We are mainly considering Zimbabwe, Tanzania, Botswana, and/or Kenya. So which

would be best for our needs? (Never mind any talk about one country being safe

or not)

- Okavango, Ngorongoro, Masai Mara, and Serengetti seem to be the best places,

are they? and which one is probably the best that time of the year?

- Is trecking an experience not to be missed (which can't be done in Botswana)?

Heard animals get more frightened by that than getting close by car! ?

I hope I can get some help and input on these questions. Later, when I know

which area we would chose, I'll get back to you all again, with questions on

specific operators to be considered.

Thanks all,

Mats

Mats,

Do you want to go in 2007 or 2008? Your budget is not totally realistic. How long do you want to be gone for? There are alot of operators out there and a few really good ones. You can be crammed in a mini bus with 6 others or worse 8 other all trying to get a shot and then van just will not stay still. This is not what you want. You need to have an operator that understands photographers and the needs we have. Email me and I will help you out with alot of your questions and some tips on operators.

All the best,

Matt

Why is the budget not realistic???? For $4000 per person (excl. airfares) you can get a really great and luxurious safari. It just depends if you want to spend all that money in one week or six weeks. :-)

Which time of year is the best, depends on the location. August is great for both the Mara/Serengeti and the more southern locations.

Ngorongoro is incredible, from the crater rim to the floor and all around: grasslands, forests, a lake. The animal life is extensive, you'll see the big 5 plus more, and captive within the crater. The elevation/crater depth makes its own weather; I saw brilliant sun - sudden downpour - brilliant sun within small areas only, including dramatic clouds and rainbows, every day in Ngorongoro. There are several lodges and a campground on the crater rim. I've traveled the world and I rate Ngorongoro in my top 3 destinations.

The Serengeti is huge and you are guaranteed of seeing all the big animals plus more, only the cheetah and leopard are rare sightings. There are several 'lodges' operated by Tanzanian tourism ministry, they are actually very beautiful, comfortable and well run, affordable but not cheap, but they are the only places available within the park.

October+ is rainy season in southern Africa, so November+ is best time for Ngorongoro, Serengeti, Masai Mara. It is possible to slowly drive up as close as the animals will allow. I do not know about trekking, I asked but never found out whether it was possible. I doubt it as these are well managed national parks.

I found popular destinations in Zimbabwe disappointing. Victoria Falls is beautiful (the town is not), but it's done in a day or less. Boating on the Zambezi was boring and dangerous because of the hippos. Whitewater rafting the Zambezi is highly recommended. Hwange park pales in comparison to the Serengeti, plus an elephant charged me there.

Another place I recommend is Luangwa in Zambia. It's an unknown mini-Serengeti but with a lot of water, hippos and crocodiles too. Trekking, driving, all the animals, interaction with local villagers, small outdoor lodges on hippo/crocodile pool.

If you are going Aug-Nov inclusive your budget may be too small, unless you are experienced budget trekker travelers. If you mean a typical 2 ? 4 week safari between Aug-Nov, then your budget is fine, with care. Africans are excellent at getting your money; you will be charged US$ for everything and given local currency change. For non residents, it?s tough to spend local currency.

Package tours operate Toyota and VW minivans and mini school buses, some with open roofs for viewing. If they're well sold they will pack you in. Some of these vehicles are dubious, especially for navigating the Ngorongoro crater road. Look into private 4x4 operators, it's worth it.

Long lens is required as you never want to be too close to these wild animals. Wide angle is required as some of the African vistas are incredible.

Thank you all for your replies.

Especially thanks for the comprehensive reply by Donald.

We will be going for no more than 14 days in the area of Aug-Nov.

We definitely will be going on a safari with 4x4, nothing else.

My lenses gives me the range of field of 18-500mm + the 1.5x sensor of my camera.

Hans,

I am not sure what operators you are using. All my contact are over that for a 14 day safari using rovers not mini buses and designed in tented camps witha photographer overall agenda. Sorry, I don't get your comments at all.

Also Mats I sent you about a 2 page letter answering all your questions and have not heard from you.

Donald,

I am confused by your post. "October+ is rainy season in southern Africa, so November+ is best time for Ngorongoro, Serengeti, Masai Mara" I think you mean East Africa and the end of October really November is when the rainy season starts. But as you know the weather is different and it has had hard rains in July.

Also, when you said that there are only a few lodges in the Serengeti I guess that is technically correct, lodges, but there are alot of tnent semi permeant camps and I know operators that have permits to have mobil tented camps in the Serengeti including off road permits.

Just wanted to clear that up.

"I am not sure what operators you are using. All my contact are over that for a 14 day safari using rovers not mini buses and designed in tented camps witha photographer overall agenda. Sorry, I don't get your comments at all."

Matthew, I do not use any tour operators anymore. We (my wife and I) always rent a 4x4 fully equipped and prepared for the bush. In the past 15 years I have made quite a few trips to about a dozen countries in eastern, western and southern Africa and I am also qualified as a safari guide in South Africa. So I do know Africa a bit. :-)

Mats didn't mention the intended length of his stay in his first post. For $4000 per person (exc. Airfares) you can have a very nice 10 day stay at a luxurious private lodge in South Africa (Limpopo or Zululand). With a private landrover and experienced guide garanteeing you the big five and more from very close distance. If you like, they'll throw in a walking safari as well.

It always amazes me to see how people (mostly Americans) spend a small fortune on a safari, as there are enough possibilities to have a great safari without being cramped into a minivan.

Hans,

I would like you to share with me your operators as I work with the best and am curious to know yours. I am mostly referring to East Africa not South Africa as prices are rising there. It woudl be great to know more about your trips and operators. Also It is much easier to get one rover for you and your wife as appose to organizing a whole trip for 12 people or more with 4 rovers and guides along with a 14 day safari. Thanks for your comments.

All the best,

Matt

Mats,

Africa Adventure Co. has a nice little chart with the various safari destinations and the best time of year for each:

http://www.africa-adventure.com/dsp_besttime.html

It shouldn't be too difficult to put together a 10-14 day safari within your budget. The trick is to go with in-country outfitters rather than U.S. or European-based agencies. This requires quite a bit more effort on your part to research the destinations, parks, and lodgings, but I think it's definitely worthwhile. Plus, you can get yourself a private safari with your own vehicle, which is essential for a photographer-oriented safari. I did a 10-day safari in Tanzania hitting the major parks (Tarangire, Ngorongoro, Lake Manyara, Serengeti) in June for about $2850 per person all land costs inclusive. This was a four-person private safari with our own vehicle and driver/guide. We stayed at a mix of accommodations - from tented camps to luxury lodges - all were very comfortable.

In terms of logistics and operators, I would recommend frequenting the Fodors.com Talk forums. The Africa forum there is quite active and frequented by some real experts.

I just got back from the Masai Mara a few weeks ago. The rainy season was just starting around the first of November, but it didn't interfere with game drives much. We had some periods of rain, but mostly sun; it was actually nice to see the different types of weather. If you really want to see rhino, I would recommend going elsewhere, as poachers have been doing their job and the known number of rhinos on the Mara is in the single digits. Other than that, there is a plethora of animals, and the Mara is amazingly beautiful. Let me know if you have any questions, and I'll do my best to answer them.