Things to buy

david_garcia10

Hello, All! I've been lurking this forum for quite some time now-I'm really

interested in getting into wedding photography. Anywho, I'll be buying stuff in

a month or so to practice not to start doing business yet but to build my

portfolio. I know I still have ways to go... Some of you may suggest that I

should work as a second shooter but I prefer to work alone for now perhaps in

the future...

Anyway, here are the stuff that I'm thinking about buying and no I'm not rich.

I'm still saving for it...

1.)D300, 12.3 Megapixel SLR, Digital Camera (Camera Body) - $1,799.95

2.)Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras - $101.99

3.)Nikon 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S DX Nikkor Zoom Lens - $1,199.95

4.)Nikon SB-800 AF Speedlight for Nikon D50, D70s, D80, and D200 Digital SLR

Cameras - $314.99

6.)D300 Memory Card - $350 (20GB total)

7.)D40x Memory card - $ 60 (4GB)

8.)Backup Battery for D300 - $200??

9.)instructional dvds, books, etc.

10.)Nikon D40X 10.2MP Digital SLR Camera (Body Only) - $568.95

11.)Backup battery for D40x - $30??

12.)Battery for flash SB800

What do you guys think?

I've been thinking about getting d80 as a second body but I'll save around

$300+ to get the d40x instead. I can save that money to get another d300 body

when I'm ready...

Also, do I really need the 50mm f/1.8 or perhaps the 85mm f/1.8or not because

I'll be getting the 17-55mm and the 70-200mm? I've been reading a lot on the

forum and I found some posts regarding the flare/glare on the 17-55mm on direct

sunlight? But it is still good for outdoor uses correct? I've seen some outdoor

sample photos with the 17-55mm and they all look sharp. I'm just worried that

when I'm taking pictures outside with group shots etc I will have flare issues.

I know that this kind of questions have been asked before. I actually read one

where we have a pretty close things to buy... By the way, I didn't add the

softwares and stuff there since I have a know how when it comes to photoshop,

computers, etc. Thanks all in advance!

Best,

Chris

If the D40x is going to be your backup, you will need a lot more than one 4GB card for it. What happens if your D300 fails early in an event? The CF cards won't fit it, so you'll you will have to do the whole thing on the D40x with just one SD card. Not a good plan. There are some options: 1) Buy all SD cards and several SD to CF adapters, but make sure the adapters work in the D300 - some don't work in the latest cameras. 2) Get a backup camera that uses CF cards. 3) Buy 20GB of SD cards to go with the CF cards. I think option 2 is best.

I think you need at least 2 backup batteries for each camera. You absolutely need two capable flash units, as they fail more frequently than camera bodies do. You also need a backup for your main lens. You might consider a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, or Tokina 16-50 f/2.8 to save money on at least the backup.

The 70-200 is not in your list, but you mention it later. Are you planning on getting it before you start shooting professionally? One way or another you will want something longer than 55mm at times. Also consider a wide zoom. They can be very handy at some events. Not everyone appreciates the use of a wide lens though, so it's up to you.

>>> I'll be buying stuff in a month or so to practice not to start doing business yet but to build my portfolio. (. . . ) I prefer to work alone for now perhaps in the future... <<<

You do not need a back up camera (and many of other items mentioned) to meet the criteria set out in your question. I suggest you do a massive rethink.

Firstly decide generally upon the Professional Wedding kit you are building toward.

Then put the major thinking effort into deciding what will be your main camera and what will be your main lens and what will be your main flash unit, and buy them. If you intend to work with a zoom as your main lens, then consider a fast prime as well.

And a few gig of memory, a reflector or diffuser and a tripod.

There are several posts (use the search function) outlining the key parts to a Wedding kit.

WW

I don't like the idea of changing lenses at a wedding. You have to work quickly at a

wedding and need to make life as easy as possible. I know you're just practising for now,

but it's worth considering for the long term.

I consider it preferable to have 2 identical bodies, each with its own flash, and a shorter

zoom on one and a longer zoom on the other. If it means compromising some slight

image quality over having a 50mm prime, then so be it (not that anyone will notice if you

produce good work with good, fast zooms).

One reason for the identical bodies is the fact that you get very used to the controls after a

while and it becomes intuitive - you can change settings without compromising your

concentration on what is going on around you. It doesn't work like that if the bodies are

different.

As William says, it doesn't make sense to build a portfolio with that amount of gear. Portfolio wise you need very little as you are not under any type of pressure. Buy a camera, couple of lenses and a flash and leave the rest for when you can sit down with your bank manager to discuss starting a business. Given that it will probably take a year or so and digital equipment depreciates by almost half in that time I would seriously think about it.

I didn't see anyone else mention it, but I wanted to point out that I believe the 50mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor Lens you mentioned will NOT work with the D40. The D40 lacks the autofocus drive screw, and thus will only work with AF-S lenses, not AF. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

<P>I'm also launching my own wedding photography business next year. I spent this summer apprenticing with a local pro and building my portfolio. Although you "prefer to work alone," this gets trumped by couples who "prefer pictures that are worth the price."

<P>As for your equipment list, as others have said, you need improved redundancy. Don't think of it as a "primary" and "backup" situation. You need to be able to switch back and forth between cameras seemlessly. Think of them both as "primary" cameras. Instead of getting a D300 (overkill) and a D40 (underkill), get a pair of D80's. That way the controls will be identical as you're switching back and forth, and all the lenses, batteries, and cards will work in both bodies. You need 2 flashes (because they can fail), but I wouldn't bother doubling-up on lenses just yet. Lenses are extremely reliable, and if you take care of them, then one of each (17-55 f/2.8 and 70-200 f/2.8) should get you through the first season.

<P><B>Summary:</B><br>

- Buy 2 D80's instead of a D300 and D40<br>

- Get 17-55 f/2.8 and 70-200 f/2.8 lenses<br>

- Get 2 SB-800 Speedlights<br>

- Get lots of memory and batteries<br>

- Shadow a pro and get lots of practice<br>

If you ever consider upgrading to a D3 I'd consider avoiding all DX glass (e.g. the overpriced 17-55).

Interestingly enough, the 17-55 is hardly better than the kit 18-70 (which is amazing for it's price). For portfolio building I'd go with a D80 kit + optionally some of the other lenses mentioned.

""Interestingly enough, the 17-55 is hardly better than the kit 18-70"

Are you having a laugh?"

No, not at all :-) I own both and have done my testing. If you don't believe me google reviews on these lenses. I do use the 17-55 in my work for it's constant aperture since I shoot manual. The DOF difference and being faster is negligible IMHO.

In light of the D3's FX sensor I would not get it anymore, however.

I recommend the 18-70 as a "throwaway" lens for Chris till he has built a portfolio.

But maybe I've a dud 17-55 copy and a brilliant 18-70, who knows? :-)

Chris,

If I was in your shoes I'd get two D80's and two SB 800's before I'd do just one D300 and one SB 800. I use two D80's and have been happy with them. I hate sharing a flash between two cameras and you will need two cameras with two flashes on you most of the time.

When the bride walks down the isle you'll need a fast zoom then when she gets to the alter you'll want some wide shots of the entire ceremony along with some tight photos of the bride and groom holding hands, exchanging rings etc.

You can't run up to the alter with a wide angle in the middle of the ceremony.

Also If your doing weddings then you will do engagement and bridal portraits and the 85 f1.8 is a much better choice than the 50mm.

Double check the D40x I thought I saw something about the D40x not able to use D Lenses? I'm not 100% but just check I think it was PoP Photography that had an article about it.

With respect, some of the posts above are focussing on advice for the purchase of a Wedding Kit, which is great.

Obviously this is a forum, which means `discussion`, but I would like to reiterate:

To `work alone and build a portfolio`, which is what is being asked: a body and one (or two) lenses and a flash, all of which can be used later as primary equipment for a Wedding Kit is all that is required AND more importantly, is fiscally sound and good business practice.

The body especially will depreciate and deteriorate.

I just did want this point to be missed.

WW

I thought he was trying to build a wedding porfolio? How would he build a wedding porfolio and not shoot a wedding? My first "free" wedding was done with one camera.

My second "free" wedding was done with two. Free or portfolio building what ever the case it's a wedding. Take one body change lenses during the cake cutting...have some kid trip over it...Thank god my lens was OK :)

>>> I thought he was trying to build a wedding portfolio? etc <<< (JJ)

I did not interpret the question that way.

I just read it as a building a portfolio of work (in general):

`not to start doing business yet but to build my portfolio.`

as even if a wedding is shot pro bono, it is still `doing business`, the charge is just zero.

I might have misunderstood the intention of the question, by my reading it literally.

WW

Thank you all so much for the posts! Much appreciated. All your posts really helps! Almost a decade ago I knew that I really love photography but just didn't got in to it. Anyway, I'm hoping that when I have enough samples for my portfolio and if I think I'm ready I can start going at it full time.

I'll be getting the d80 instead as a backup body. I'm still thinking about the d300. Hehehe. The 51 points on the autofocus just sounds so nice. My previous choice was the d200 until I read the reviews on the d300.

To Jim Strutz - Anchorage, AK- yeah, the 70-200 is actually in my buy list. I forgot to put it in. :-) A lot of people mentioned that the 17-55mm and the 70-200mm are good for low-light which most church are but I'm worried how they work outdoor. If I get glare/flare if shooting directly on the sun for group shots...

To William W (Retired)- you are right I'm building my portfolio first and I won't be charging for the first few weddings perhaps up to 5-10 weddings until I think that I'm ready. However, I still want to have a backup body :-) I really don't want the bride to come to me crying because my camera broke but yeah I think my gears are way to much for someone just building a portfolio.

John Mottershaw, Kevin Swan - I really like your suggestions...

susanne beerli - I probably won't be upgrading to a d3 unless the business is really good but yeah I read somewhere about the d3's incompatibilities. It would be a waste if I can't use the 17-55mm on it.