look and feel of the Olympus OM series. I would appreciate advice as to the

simplicity (vs. complexity) of the various models. And whether or not I should

give up the SLR idea and just get him a point and shoot whatever (I have pretty

much ruled that out though). He likes using my Contarex, when I am closely

watching. What OM camera would you recommend, or other older camera, such as a

Pentax, for his use?

I will appreciate your input.

Thank You

8 yrs old? You might consider starting with an Olympus Stylus Epic, which is a fabulous camera for $40-50 or less used.

For such a small hand, the OM-1/2 is a good choice though. Also the Pentax M series would be a good choice. An OM-2n would be the best blend of usability and it also has the added benefit of using newer batteries.

Skip

I agree completely with Skip's answers. My Pentax MG is just a tad smaller than my OM-1, but the OM takes the edge for rugged ease of use. (I've taken quite a few photos with it that got mixed up with the "professional" post cards that my wife purchsed on trips...and the OM's photos looked better!

The only thing I'd caution about is the on/off switch on the OM's top deck. It's very easy to leave it on, and to drain the metering battery. The switch also appears to be plastic, and it could conceivably succumb to a young-un's rough handling!

So, as Skip says, you can't go wrong with the Stylus Epic for a child. Some pros that I know even use it as their pocket camera for vacations. It's one of the best 35mm point-and-shoot bargains out there!

Sincerely,

Dave

How about an OM-10 or OM-G (aka OM-40)? These bodies are widely available and dirt-cheap nowadays, their aperture-priority autoexposure systems work just fine for most situations, and they use the same great Zuiko lenses as the pro OM SLRs. With their plastic body parts, they aren't as rugged as the pro OMs, but they weigh less, which would be good for a young child.

Nothing against any of the excellent Olympus p&s cameras (or the old XAs, Trips, Pens, etc.) - my teenage son always gets fabulous results with his Stylus Epic - but if you're considering an SLR, the OM-10 or OM-G might be just the thing...

Brent,

Fantastic! While most parents give their children point and shoots, which teach them nothing of photographic technique, you're son actually gets to learn something about the craft.

The Stylus Epic is a super camera. My wife and I each have one. However, it's no better than any other P&S when it comes to teaching someone the basics of photography.

I'll second the OM2 suggestion simply because of battery availability. Other than that, the OM1 would have been my first choice based simply on price.

Rich

I don't know enough about the OM line to make a specific recommendation, except to suggest something cheap and/or sturdy, because it's going to take some abuse, no matter how much more careful than average your 8 year old is. And it <em>ought</em> to take at least a bit of abuse, because he should take it hiking, bikeriding, and doing whatever other things he enjoys doing.

<p>

I started at age 9 on a meterless 35mm SLR. Not because that was the best option, but because that was what was available. I also had a selenium external meter that mounted to the accessory shoe. So each photo mean reading the meter, deciding on an aperture and shutter speed, and setting both the aperture and shutter speed.

<p>

At that age, I certainly didn't understand all the subtleties, but I could easily understand the basic principle of getting the right amount of light to the film. And I could understand basic tradeoffs between freezing action and getting depth of field.

<p>

There are two basic schools of thought to teaching beginner photographers. One is to hand them a P&S (these days, a digital P&S) in order to make things fun, minimize the chance of mistakes, give self confidence, and maximize the chance of "keepers". The other is to teach the fundamentals with a fairly non-automated camera, to give an understanding and control of the process. Both methods have their strengths.

<p>

The composition and artistic aspects of photography are probably easiest to teach on a P&S. It's good to learn to compose shots well, to get close, to notice the differences between the way our eyes see and the way the camera sees.

<p>

But when a shot doesn't come out right for technical reasons, the P&S is a lot harder to fix than the manual camera. With something like a Stylus Epic (which I have, and really enjoy for what it is), if a shot has a serious exposure or focus problem, the most likely lesson is "the camera can't handle that situation". With a fully manual camera, the camera can always handle the situation, and there are only three controls (aperture, shutter, and focus) that need to be adjusted to make it handle the situation -- the same three controls the student knows intimately well because those are the controls that he's used for every single shot. There's no mystery, no strange menus to override in weird situations.

<p>

If you're going to go P&S, go digital, because it gives instant feedback and doesn't have the film/developing expense.

<p>

But if <em>your student</em> wants to learn on a manual SLR, and can stand the time lag between taking the pictures and getting the results, then by all means, go for it. The one thing that concerns me in the original post is the line <cite>I always liked the look and feel of the Olympus OM series.</cite> Who are we buying this camera for?

My kid started with a Canon Owl at about age 8, something he could haul around in his backpack, take on field trips and so on. He's now digitized but still, at 20, uses it occasionally. I wanted him to learn the joy of making photos of his friends and his life before loading him up with f/stops and shutter speeds. He learned that by 11 and borrowed my Nikons for a bit. But he sees the pictures as more important than the tool.

I agree with the OMG advice: not my personal favorite but a very capable camera that will grow with him as he learns. Its controls, both manual and automatic, are essentially the same as the OM2, so that would be a very logical step up later on. The OMG is slightly larger than the OM1/2 but no heavier - in fact, I think it's a bit lighter. Lenses and even winders are interchangeable throughout.

and it's cheap enough that if it gets broken or lost (my daughter lost her first 2 cameras) it can be replaced with no worries.

I think its too late to give an 8 year old a film camera. Lots of very good and abuse proof digitals about. I agree with 21st century comment. I started with seriously with film about 1960 so I have been there and done that. There is a danger of the child becoming bored and of course nver forget peer pressure.

There is learning to make images, and learning to load film, focus a lens,set an aperture,select a shutter speed. Even the hardiest of the old rangers would not go back to the mechanical cameras ( I have a bunch of them, and the A-1 is still a good compromise, if film is the answer. A T 90 is even better. Having some automation allowed us to think about the scene and the events. Point and shoot sounds like a pejorative. For the imagemaker,a point and shoot which requires some choice (like the Canon C series) is a great learning experience. Children love to see the results, and share the LCD images. This may not be what you wanted to hear,but I share the view of several others.

Happy trails,Signed,An Old Ranger,digitally restored...

Corrction,I meant the Olympus C models,like the C 5050 etc. Sophisticated or as simple as one likes. The results will likely be digitized anyway,for sharing with grandma. Are we going to go the scan route? Hope not. Kills the fun (empasis on latter). No,the OM won't do him any harm. First do no harm as they say.

My vote is an OM-1. OK, there is the battery problem, but an adapter can be bought so that a silver battery can be used. I learnt on an OM-1 because my father refused to give me an auto-camera. I was annoyed at the time, but now I see the wisdom of his decision. Kids are not stupid and one who has the interest will easily master an all-manual camera. OTOH, teach them with an auto-brick and they will never want anything except an auto-brick (but one who learns on a manual can easily "graduate" to an auto-brick later if needed).

If your son is one who likes to understand how things work (and that's the impression I get from your intro) then IMO you will be doing him a dis-service giving him anything automatic, and certainly he should get an SLR. Give him a 50/1.8 to start with as it is good to learn with. You'll know if he gets interested as he'll be saving up for a 28mm before you know it!

At that age I used a Voigtlander Brilliant TLR. Loading film with tiny hands was not easy, but I made it work. I wouldn't give a kid an SLR as the law of gravity for children works quite differently than it does for adults. The real intent here should be photography and how to learn it. Giving a kid a film camera or an SLR of any type means that there are more issues here. I would buy him a very cheap digital and see what happens. If the real interest for photography is there you will be directly requested to address the situation from the source. Presenting an 8 year old with an overly complicated piece of machinery that is fragile is a good way to turn of the photography bug. BTW I still have my Brilliant and it still works.

Nostalgia tripping back 40 years to being handed my first Braun Paxette with a range finder, light metre and tripod. Dad gave be some bw film and a few pointers then said if I could take just one good shot from that first film he buy be some more film.. I was 8yrs old and handled the technology well. I only wish I had the little range finder still..

A couple of years later I was into an OM1, have had OM10s and 20s but the OM1 is still brilliant. I would have loved the OM1 but any camera for your child should come with pats on the back and encouragement rather than lectures.. Its time alone with his camera that will tell.. The biggest kick will come when he proudly shows off his first good one.. Learning dof from scratch at 8yrs is a marvelous adventure.

ps Dad still brings me camera bits.. todays was a old OM 100mm soft focus lens.. toys are great :-) Enjoy

Brent, my Dad started me off with a Kodak pocket 110 at 5 years old. I still have it, the pictures, and even the box and manual. At 10, he gave me a Pentax K1000 with a 50. Its sad how many people I know with fancy film and digital SLRs and don't even understand the relationship between aperture and shutter. Maybe the Nikon FM10 is still available new. Its plasticy, and comes with a kit zoom, but you could get him a 50 1.8 E for about $40. If he gets bored with it, give it to an older family kid and get him something else. I would highly recommend the Pentax K1000 but they held their value pretty well and are not cheap, but maybe the same price as an FM10, but much more durable. I don't know Olympus, but it sounds good. I would not give him aperture priority if you expect him to learn about the EV concept.

I totally disagree with those that say its too late to start him with 20th century technology. Those folks are probably in the camp that says don't bother to learn algebra either because you'll never use it. Also, don't go near an abacus. Oh yea, and stay away from guitars, trumpets or a piano. The kids can do all that with a synthesizer or better yet a computer and keyboard.

I appreciate your thinking. Good luck!

My father is the best, but I wish he had your passion in photography when I was 8. Your son is really blessed.

I started with digital at 28, knowing squat about f/stop, aperture, dof, metering, etc. 2 years later, I'm bored, getting the same 'look" from all my "exciting" photo shoot sessions.

Long story short, I got my OM-4 at 35, shot film for the first time, complete with the anguish of forgetting to set the ASA dial, shooting blanks because I didn't load the film properly, *and* gained the all important appreciation of the optical laws of physics. My pictures have improved significantly and still improving.

Point is, if your son has the affinity towards photography, he'll use and abuse his OM-whichever (they are all excellent for learning), learn photography the right way, became a great photographer, who always started his interviews with "It started when my dad..."

Or if he doesn't like it/got bored quickly, you can use the OM-2 (my recommendation because it's simple, cheap, excellent quality) yourself. FYI, for around $60 you can get a perfectly good sample with 50/1.8 lens nowadays. Sure is cheaper and healthier than getting $600 couch-potato-builder people call PS3 for Christmas.

As for the posting that commented on: "I always liked the look and feel of the Olympus OM series", Look, if my son is 8 years old, *I* choose what's best for him because I am his dad, it's my job. When he earned his own money to take me out to luch, we can start discussing which camera look-and-feel *he* likes.

Brent, truck on! go get your son an OM camera!

Brent

Ahh some of the responses brings back memories! You have a lucky boy.

My Dad gave me my first camera when I was around 8 or 9. It was a plastic Diana camera. He used to load an old already-exposed practice roll of film into it and told me to take pictures around the house. Unknown to foggy little me, he would use up the last 2 or 3 exposures in his camera to duplicate what I "took". Then when he was developing the paper, he called me into the darkroom and let me watch "my" picture come up in the enlarger and developer tray. That was it! I was bitten.

My next camera was a Balda, 120 film, uncoupled viewfinder, no rangefinder, separate shutter cock and film wind. Dad taught me to estimate the focus distance and set it on the lens. Then for my birthday he gave me his old Weston meter and taught me roughly how to use it. I still have that camera. Believe me, I've gone through countless cameras (35mm to Super Kardens) since then but I'll never give up the Balda.

Some how, some day I would like to instill the same spark of curiousity in my son (2 years old). Yes, I will drag out my enlarger if only to show him how we used to do it and who knows, maybe he will like the idea of film - (if it still exists then) and/or at least a more thoughtful approach to photography. In this age of video games, cellphone cameras, instant digital cameras and machine gun picture taking, I think that wouldn't be a bad thing.

Stan

Most of the OM camera's would be suitable. A few model's spring to mind.

I'd avoid OM-1's because they are manual only.

OM-10's are a great choice, but lack manual (unless you have manual adaptor), it's perfect for your child, but he would probably want to upgrade it later on.

OM-2's are probably the best bet, being a professional body, with the choice of manual or apeture priority, better metering, more solid camera etc.etc It's also a body that he can keep practically forever (provided you get it serviced, and it's well looked after)