45mm p Sample

wj_lee

I like the lens. In fact, I have two of them. They are almost a permanent fixture on my ***ahem*** Canon 5D.

However, it is not the only lens in the Nikon lineup that can produce the subtle colour changes and 3D-feel. Indeed, other brands, like Leica, are also comparable.

To JS BC

I love the 45 p because the contrast is natural, there is very little light scattering, it produces subtle color renditions, the sharpness is high, when stopped down a little the bokeh is smooth and natural, and there is virtually no geometric distortion.

Would you share with us your short list of Nikon lenses that have similar qualities?

Charles:

A good question, and I like to hear your opinions as well.

I like the 45mm because of its form factor, bokeh, and as you say, the v. good colour rendition which reproduces subtle hue changes, well saturated but not gaudy colours. There are other qualities, such as low geometrical distortion, corner sharpness which are less important to me.

WJ refers to the "PoP" factor. I think other lenses (and I have to think of my film days) also can do it. The primes I have include 60mm F2.8, which also have good colour rendition. The 35mm F1.4 I have can also produce POP, even though the colour is less saturated (Also I find the corner sharpness less than impressive. The 85mm F1.8 produces contrasty bokeh if you stop down to F2.8. The 85mm F1.4 is by all accounts better.

So I really think the other Nikon system have other good lenses. Even the 80-200 F2.8 is not bad. Given the high contrast of most lenses, a 3-D effect is not difficult if there is good subject isolation. If you close down the aperture, it is harder to say because the excess contrast in some lens robs the pictures of the subtle color changes.

As I said, I have not done pixel-peeping and compare all the Nikon lenses I have, which in any case is not extensive. So it is a judgement based on slides. I have some prints though, but there is even more difficult to gauge. The 45mm is a nice Tessar, and I like it better than say, the Cosina 40mm Ultron. But other companies have lenses that produce awesome 3-D pictures.

But you make it sound as though you doubt whether other Nikon lens can create the 3-D Pop.

I've recently bought a 45mm P that lives on my FM2. It's like a Zeiss Tessar!. It reminds me a lot the Zeiss Tessar 45mm f/2.8 from my Zeiss Ikon Contaflex (an old reflex that deserves to be rediscovered!). It's smooth in contrast at f/2.8 and then, contrast and sharpness rise towards f/8, like any Tessar-formulated lens. Very interestingly, it also reminds my Leica Elmar-M 50mm f/2.8 (another Tessar design) and I just love the absence of distortion.

</p>

I'm preparing a user's test of this lens with pictures taken from an exhibition by Sebastiao Salgado.<div>00IusC-33678684.jpeg.01903a023706613e7fef62a36c8bca08.jpeg</div>

JS BC,

You wrote,

"But you make it sound as though you doubt whether other Nikon lens can create the 3-D Pop."

Not at all. I was simply attracted to this thread because my 45mm p has laid down some of the most pleasing outdoor images I have ever taken. So I am especially interested in the comments of folks who have noticed something similar.

Agree, it's a special optic whatever naysayers and grouches say to the contrary.Got a mint demo black from Nikon.ca and love it. It's more or less glued to an N90s and makes a great street rig. Glad I grabbed one since they're history now and will only go up in price because they're chipped and rare.Nothing quite like it for portraiture.

I had a black one, which was stolen, then lucked upon a silver one at a great "buy it now" price on the auction site. It looks very cool on my chrome FM body.

I find this lens is great on a film or full frame body, but its focal length is kind of dull on a DX body. Also, even with green light focusing, I found it tedious to focus on a D100.

I am getting a Canon 5D and cannot wait to mount it via a good adapter.

The site of the 5D with a chrome pancake on it will be very funny.

I agree it's a very nice lens. I liked it on film more than on digital but it's good for both in my opinion. However when money became tight and I was paring down my lenses, I sold this in favor of my 50/1.8 AIS. Of all the lenses I've sold, this is one of the only ones I might regret selling (the other would be the 28/2.8 AIS).

I still feel that the old 50/1.8 AIS is the optically superior lens, but I do rather like the look of the 45mm (in particular its colors), as well as its compactness. Perhaps one day I'll pick another one up.

Thanks for sharing!