Epson Rd-1s

erikfive

Hi

Hi saw that several people had this camera and I have a question about it. I got

the camera on Thursday 16.nov and it broke after 24hours and about 60-70

exposures. It just stopped working. There is power on it. The lcd screen and

everything is working fine and when I push the button the lcd screen is turned

of so there is contact, but I get no info in the wiewfinder and no pic is taken.

Have anybody had this problem with this camera? I have tried to format the SD

card and I have tried to reset the camera, but it wont work. I bought this

camera in Japan and Epson Norway is unvilling to help me since i didnt buy it

here. All I got was a phone number to Japan. Therefore I am trying to see if

anybody knows what could have happened to it? I have not missused it in any way.

It has been safely stored in the shade in a warm apartement all the time.

Erik

I was a moment away from buying one after I cancelled the order for my 2 M8s, but hesitated because of the lack of support for the camera in many markets including the US. DAG has been taking care of the many rangefinder problems with the camera but beyond that it seemed like service could be a serious issue. I hope you get it resolved in reasonable time.

The R-D1 (and R-D1s) are infamous for quality control problems. You will have to contact the dealer who sold you the camera and/or Epson Japan where I believe all R-D1 defects are eventually sent for repair regardless of where they were purchased.

Did you buy it on your last day in Japan and then not actually use it until you returned to Norway?

A little typo there. I bought it from Japan. Brand new in sealed box. It was an impulse buy that went wrong. I talked to the guy who sells these cameras in Norway and he tried really hard to convince Epson Norway that they should do me this favour and fix the camera, but they didnt want to do it. The dealer I talked with said that he had to of these cameras shipped to Japan because of errors and nobody in Europe could fix them. I asked if Epson could ship it to Japan for me and I would pay for the shipping and they didnt want to do that either. It just would had made things so much easier for me. I cant understand the lack of customer service. If you want to get into the rangefinder market you cant have a bad relationship with the ones who buy your camera. It is a pretty narrow market to get into. And now as Leica having their problems with the M8 they really should try to grab a hold of their customers. As I said earlier. They just gave me a phonenumber to Japan and said that I should ask for someone who talked English. Didnt even provide me with an adress or email adress.

As they say on their website: We will keep the customer in mind at all times and make the quality of our products and services our highest priority. Yeah thanks!! HA HA

I don't know if this applies to your RD-1, but my Leica Digilux 1 has conked out a couple of times. It just went weird, most functions refusing to work properly, or at all. In both cases, the fault was traced to a bad memory card. When the second card of the two cards that came with the camera (64M SD) failed, I bought a 1GB card. So far, everything is back to normal, and with a greatly increased picture capacity. I wonder if changing the card might cure your RD-1?

"I cant understand the lack of customer service. If you want to get into the rangefinder market you cant have a bad relationship with the ones who buy your camera. "<p>Not to be harsh, but Epson Norway is not who sold the camera to you. Epson Japan and Norway are most likely totally separate financial entities.

I understand that, but I still think they could have provided me with a little more info on how I should get it to Japan with an adress and things like that. I have spent a total of 2850$ incl VAT and I think that should be enough to get an adress and some info. I?m most angry at myself and not Epson. He he...

You could have someone that speaks Japanese talk to Epson Japan on your behalf...and then

be willing to follow up for you ....... customer service in Japan can be amazing.

Usually a company will send someone to your house to pick up the package ....they box

and ship it ...... The problem for you will be that they will not want to deal with shipping form

outside of Japan -- the language barrier is also a problem..... Your best bet is to send it to a

friend or someone you trust here in Japan to act as a go between.....

Hope this all works out for you

I tried to contact the seller several days ago, but I couldnt get a hold of him. Checked my

other email an hour ago and he had responded to the mail. He said that I could ship it back

to him with the warranty and he should take care of it, so I think it will be ok now.

I didnt say it in this posting, but in frederick Mullers. Even if I only had the camera for one

day I was really pleased with the quality of the pictures and the feeling of the camera. I was

like a little kid and I actually really want this camera. Had I bought it in Norway I would have

had the warranty and it hadnt been a problem. There had to be something really wrong with

my one. I talked to the guy who distributes the camera in Norway and he said that he would

have given me almost the same price (2200$ without VAT) if I had asked him first, so I think

the photo shops can give you some discount if they are nice.

Erik wrote?: <i>"...The dealer I talked with said that he had to of

these cameras shipped to Japan because of errors and nobody

in Europe could fix them..."</i>

<br>I recently acquired a R-D1s body purchased new in Italy with

a misalignment of the rangefinder patch. The Italian seller

advised me to send it in to Epson Engineering Europe (France)

because the latter would be in charge of most if not all the

repairs in Europe if i understood well.

<br>I then sent the body to Epson Engineering Europe who just

asked me to provide a copy of the invoice, the bar code and the

serial number of the body and did the repair for free in a couple

of weeks.

<br>I don't know if they do the same for new or second hand

bodies purchased in Japan but here is their address anyway:

<br>Epson Engineering Europe SA

<br>60 rue August Perret

<br>Europarc

<br>94000 Créteil

<br>France

<br>Tel: +33 892899999

<br>Fax: +33 156715726

Hmm.. Strange that the Norwegian dealer didnt know this. And as I said Epson Norway wasnt

able to give me any info on this. I sent the camera to Japan yesterday so its too late now, but

thanks for the heads up. I will keep the adress in case of it gettin broken again.

It is a great pity that Epson has not gotten its act together on RD-1 repairs outside Japan.

The problem is that they are not camera people. This camera should have been made by

Cosina. Things would have gone smoother.

My RD-1s has a very slight vertical misaligment problem. I've been meaning to have it fixed

but haven't in fear that Epson might really muck it up.

Alex wrote: <i>"My RD-1s has a very slight vertical misalignment problem. I've been meaning to have it fixed but haven't in fear that Epson might really muck it up."</i>

<br><br>If your body is a R-D1 (not a R-D1s), vertical misalignments are easy to fix actually.

<br>See:

<br>http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18901

<br>http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=238929

<br>http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5316

<br>http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11974

<br>http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18761

<br>(hope the links are still good)