Monitor: Viewsonic VA1912wb with sRGB, 9300K, 6500K, 5400K, 5000K, user color

setting

Print place: Costco

software: Photoshop, Canon DPP

Many times when I adjust pictures on the monitor, they do look different when

printed on a glossy paper.

First how to set the monitor? Since I am using sRGB color space for every

picture should I set my monitor to sRGB color as well? Shall I invest into

monitor calibration software (which one?)

Secondly when I use online printing service at Costco should I use an option

called "AutoCorrect" (AutoCorrect is a feature that most amateur photographers

use. If you are a professional photographer and use an editing tool such as

Adobe PhotoShop to adjust your images or select printer profiles, you should

turn off AutoCorrect to make sure that your prints are not altered.)

I have tried printing the same picture with and without the AutoCorrect oprion,

and they look much better with AC on. Is it possible to adjust .CR2 image export

it to JPG and print it without AutoCorrect option and get a nice colorfull print?

Few times I was able to print a really good picture, unfortunately I do not

remember all the setting I used to produce it.

What is the correct way of processing pictures? starting with color managment in

camera, setting up the monitor, and finally where to print whould that be costco

or other places. All the images will end up in photo albums.

TIA

Hi Jarek.You've got a lot of questions and not very much specific information, but I'll have a go at this.

If you're not a professional, there is no particular advantage in processing Raw images, unless you plan on making huge poster sized prints.

Your monitor, if 4 years old or less, should work well at default settings(Reset).

If it's an older LCD, or either, for that matter, there's a free program to calibrate your monitor, (ADOBE GAMMA), which you can find through Google.

You may find another FREE photo editor, much more user friendly, which incorporates all of the most needed enhancing tools, and all in real time, and considerably faster than PhotoShop, PSP, and many other top rated editors.

The aforementioned are excellent, but not particularly user friendly, and have a significant learning curve. Corel PSP X or X1 have a much improved Learning Palette,which remains available on the left border, and walks you through any tool application you select.

The FREE editor, that will handle most needs for 95% of photographers work is PhotoFiltre http://www.photofiltre.com/ .

For even faster access to the entire editing process, you can integrate Canons Zoom Browser, with PhotoFiltre, and toggle back and forth with each new workpiece.

If any of this interests you, you can contact me at < baysmeister@gmail.com >

Which ever editor you use, if you want accurate color reproduction you need to start by calibrating your monitor. The hardware methods using a puk are by far the best solution.

When you can see the correct colors you can make better judgements about auto-correction features of the s/w.

The advantages of PS and PS Elements is that they support color management fully.

If you have made your adjustments in an editor then you should ask any printer's to turn off any adjustments.

If you are printing your own images then try and use any canned profiles that were installed with the printer for different paper types.

If and when all this is sorted out then you may want to consider custom printer profiles.

Ian

http://profiles.colourperfect.co.uk