How do you protect lenses that dont take front filters?

andy_cha

Hi...specifically I will be travelling to Peruvian Amazon and Galapagos. I

will take my 300 f 2.8 with me and it does not take front filters.

I am afraid that the rain, sea mist, sand...etc may damage my glass. Can you

please share what you guys do to protect lenses that dont take front filters?

Many thanks...

I have a 500/4 that also doesn't accept front filters. I protect it by being careful, nothing

more than that: keep it covered if there is blowing sea spray, sand, etc. (a heavy-duty

trash bag works OK, or there are purpose-built weather covers for many big lenses)

Always use the

lenshood. See if you can find a plastic dish lid that snugly fits the front of the hood to

serve

as a lenscap.

I think all the Canon superteles have an optical flat as the 'front element' that is there

mainly

for protection. It can be replaced relatively inexpensively, if damaged. Not sure if the

same

applies to other brands but I wouldn't be surprised.

To protect lens barrel you can use neoprene lens covers already mentioned above. They are also resold by Arthur Morris (birdsasart.com).

To protect front element while the lens is not in use (e.g. on a boat) you can employ food plate covers that are sold in food stores such as Safeway. These are round covers that fit onto the front of the lens nicely. In my (albeit limited) experience though it is usually enough to hold the lens down and rely on the hood to cut the spray.

While the lens is in actualy use, there is no filter you can use to protect it (and if it existed it would have been quite expensive).

To clean off the spray if it gets on the front element you can use FormulaMC (to dissolve spray spots first) and then wipe out the moisture with Zeiss optical tissue (available from B&H and Adorama).